McAllister Not Disheartened by Seattle's Fade

CowboyinAmerica

image.jpeg.0205346e3e338e751ce41e93684cb903.jpeg 

Seattle (AP) -- Early on in the season, it looked like the Seattle Bears might be making a playoff run. As the season wore on, though, the players wore out. Now, with five games left, the Seattle Bears look like they’ll be on the outside looking in, barring a minor miracle.

For rookie Bears left winger Gabriel McAllister, though, that turn of events isn’t necessarily a bad thing. He told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer recently that although it would have been nice to make the playoffs, he ultimately has a longer-term view.

“My ultimate goal is to win championships, not get to the first round and flame out,” McAllister said. “And I’m going to do what it takes to get to that point. If that means we build slowly and have higher draft picks? I don’t necessarily see that as a bad thing.”

It also can’t hurt that McAllister has been having his own strong rookie season to fall back on. Through 67 games, he has 39 goals (just outside the league’s top ten) and 39 assists, a total of 78 points. That puts him tied for third among all VHL natural left wingers in points, and crucially, first among all rookies.

A Rookie of the Year trophy was something McAllister had his sights on entering the season, but he’s not ready to call the race over. “Guys like Aleksei, Forsberg and Quill have been right with me all season, and that’s not going to change,” McAllister said. “It would be nice if I get the trophy, but I’m more excited that this crew will put up stiff competition for years to come. I like a little challenge, it keeps me engaged.”