Power Surge

Quik

Mystery, AK - For some reason, even though there are no teams in either the VHL or VHLM that call Alaska home, this reporter is reporting on the VHL from Mystery, Alaska. The unofficial hockey capital of Alaska, if for no other reason than there was a movie based on this possibly fictional town playing the New York Rangers in an exhibition game, and I've always loved that movie!

Anyways, on to the VHL. With the trade deadline passed, and a little under 1/3 of the season remaining, two teams are shooting up the standings and making a couple of races very interesting. For much of the season, the race for first place has been a two-team endeavour, with Helsinki's veteran bunch colliding with New York's upstart youngsters! Enter player 3: Seattle. The Bears are currently riding an 8-game heater, bringing them to within arms reach of the Americans for 2nd place, right behind Helsinki.

In the race for the league's 2 final playoff spots, Calgary has surged through a 13-game streak that has them now comfortably in 4th, and 7 points up on the scuffling 6th-place HC Davos for a spot in the Wild Card series. If Calgary were to continue their pace and make the playoffs, it would mark the first time since the city swapped franchises with the now defunct Stockholm Vikings in S57. For the franchise itself, it would mark the first time since S55, when they were still in Sweden that they would play post-season hockey!

Interesting stuff!

I actually preferred the Anchorage Owls as an expansion team over Yukon Rush way back in S31. I liked both options, but the community favored the Rush, so that was ultimately the decision.