Interview with VHL prospect Juri Ryoken [1/2]

We asked Finnish prospect Juri Ryoken some questions,and here are some of our questions.

Juri Ryoken is a 18 year Finnish prospect born in Helsinki, Finland. Standing at 6'5'' and weighing in at 190 pounds. Juri will be drafted into the VHLM with the class of S62 and the VHL in S63.

I- When you were a kid did you always look to joining the VHL or did you ever think of joining one of the Finnish or Swedish leagues?

J- I always looked forward to playing professionally no matter what the field, but as I developed my skill and became the player I am I found myself think of playing with the best of the best. As I grew up my end goal was to play where ever the best players play and right now thats the VHL.

I- Have you ever played internationally, and if you haven't are you worried about not being good enough for the international teams?

J- No I have not played Internationally, and yes its quite frightening. No Fin has ever played in this Generation of the VHL so if im one of the first I am carrying a lot of weight on my shoulders.  We have a team here but no Fins so i hope to make my country proud and show that Fins can play with the rest of em.

I- When we watch you playing in high school we see a very offensive defensemen. Are you looking to bring that into the VHLM, or are you going to call down a little bit?

J- I look to bring my offense to the table. Me being able to step up has not affected my Defensive play. I look to do what my team needs me to do in a situation that is presented to me. If it becomes a problem I might calm down until i can bring that playstyle back into my game.

I- What team are you hoping picks you this year for the VHLM draft and then for the VHL draft?

J- For VHLM the Saskatoon Wild, It looks like they need some help and i want to prove what i can do in a situation to help a team. As for VHL Helsinki, playing for my hometown team would be my dream.

I- When you were playing for the Finnish Liiga you score an amazing 11 goals could you explain how you can do that while still playing some amazing defense?

J- I have to give a lot to having an amazing team with me, but being able to play on the power play is a big part of that. In the end I have to give it to my hockey sense being able to know when to step up or cool off at the right time. Just knowing where the puck is going to be is a good thing to have on the ice.

I- Since there are ccurrently so few defenceman are you predicting to be put into a higher draft pick then you normally would or do you expect that not to effect you draft pick?

J- It will probably effect my draft position if a team really needs a Dman. but I would like to have more compition and be picked because of my talent not because there isnt much to chose from.

I- As you already know Helsinki is historically the best team in the VHL are you hoping that you can bring that back or will you settle for just playing in Helsinki?

J- I want to bring that back. I'm looking for a big W no matter where I land.

• 5 weeks later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to Interview with VHL prospect Juri Ryoken [1/2]