LaVey Keeping Busy During Draft Week [1/2]

Doomzday

LaVey Keeping Busy During Draft Week

Travelling through the city of Youngstown, Ohio is no easy task. We here at the VHL Blog were sent to interview VHLM prospect Anderson LaVey at his home skating rink to get a few quotables for draft night. It was on this trip through the city that we realized how much this draft means not only to the young goal scorer, but to an entire city. We met up with Anderson at a small rink off the beaten path, after passing numerous bars and city mainstays with giant signs and posters supporting the young man. We sat down with Anderson at the 3rd Annual "LaVey League" Drive, a local initiative started by Anderson to get the youth of his area into hockey.

VHL Blog: So, this is the LaVey League, what exactly is this and how did it start?

Anderson LaVey: This started after I graduated high school. I played for a team but this area referred to it as a "Hockey Club" because there was only 2 other local schools with teams and between the 3 schools there was only 20 kids total, so it was kind of ignored locally. After I graduated I did research and found that most kids in this area can't afford hockey equipment so they never have a chance to pick up the game. I always had the best equipment in multiples because my parents pushed me. I decided to give back by seeing if I could maybe start fundraisers and drives to get the kids in my area equipment. After getting sponsors in the area and convincing the only ice rink in Northeast Ohio to let us hold events here once a week, the LaVey League was born to give the kids a chance to learn.

VHL Blog: Wow, that's a really great story... Especially knowing your history of...

Anderson LaVey: Being a gritty player and an intimidating force on the ice is one thing that will never change, but I'm not out here teaching them how to drop gloves. If they learn that on their own, that's their business. I'm simply providing them with an outlet to get started.

VHL Blog: So you're the first hockey player in the city's history to enter the VHL Draft, how does that feel to you?

Anderson LaVey: It's cool, man. This city is predominantly a football town and before that it was boxing. We had the USHL Finals here last year and it was the highest attended hockey event in the area.

VHL Blog: That must've felt amazing...

Anderson LaVey: No, it doesn't, because it was still only 200 people. I bust my ass for these kids and for this area, I do everything in my power to bring eyes to the sport locally, and no one cares. My goal is to not only go high in the draft, but to make an impact immediately. I want to start on whatever team I go to, make enough money to buy this rink, and burn it down.

VHL Blog: Isn't that a little bit radical?

Anderson LaVey: Not really, the families that are here right now are only here because I'm giving them free s*** they don't care about anything else. Draft night I'll be on the local news and everyone will talk about how great it is to see someone from this city succeed, and how amazing I am at hockey, when in actuality they've never even been to a game. 

It was at this moment that we realized Anderson's potential is limitless, but his mouth is as well. He wasn't drunk or inebriated, he genuinely has a chip on his shoulder and has since the first time he laced up a pair of skates. We intended to ask more questions, but Anderson became visibly frustrated and headed to the ice. He proceeded to do a shooting drill in front of the people in attendance, nailing target after target with a disgusted look on his face. The team that drafts him should prepare for a fiery player with a ferocious attitude and a chip the size of an entire city on his shoulder. LaVey is laser focused on proving everyone wrong, which could be a positive or a negative. Regardless of the outcome, it's damn enjoyable to see the heart he brings to the ice.

I highly consider bringing up the font size it does make the text a little harder to read other then that though a very good job. Also, maybe change the interviewers and interviewee so one is bold and the other is underlines so it makes them different.

Edited by Jose Gonzalez
add more words

• DollarAndADream changed the title to LaVey Keeping Busy During Draft Week [1/2]