Claimed:Svoboda Anticipating the VHLM Dispersal Draft

Guest Svoboda_3

Guest Svoboda_3

Vojzek Svoboda Anticipates VHLM Dispersal Draft

As a relatively new prospect to the VHLM scene, it comes as no surprise that Svoboda hasn’t been as publicized as his fellow draftees, but for Vojzek he wouldn’t have it any other way. “Flying under the radar takes a lot of the stress off, especially for me because I'm still trying to adjust. I'm just trying to maintain my conditioning in order to be ready for training camp. There are a lot of really talented players up for grabs and it’s hard to say how things will go at the VHLM Dispersal Draft.”

Among the list of talented prospects vying for the number one pick is Kimmo Salo, a goaltender out of Helsinki, Finland, right winger Ashton Galbraith from Madison, Wisconsin, defenseman Dimothenis Vlasis from Athens, Greece and quite possibly defenseman Vojtek Svoboda, who calls Ostrava, Czech Republic home. These names are just some of the prospects available, but the consensus here is that in this draft, every team will get a player that they can build a contender around.

Fillion_Huskies120110.jpg

Vojzek shooting pucks during practice

For the Yukon Rush, who occupy the first overall selection and had recently lost out to the Bratislava Watchmen in six games during the VHLM Finals, having the first selection couldn’t have played out more perfectly. “Obviously losing out to the Watchmen was a tough pill to swallow. They were a championship built team with a really sound core and to stay with them for six games showed our fight too. In saying that, I was really proud of our guys with how our season went and how we performed in the playoffs. It is certainly something to build off of heading into Season 37 and with having the first and fourth overall selections; we feel as if we can complete our roster and address the areas of concern. By doing that, we feel as if we could ice a championship calibre team to complete what we missed out on,” stated Robin Gow, General Manager of the Yukon Rush.

Draft Positioning:

1.  Yukon Rush (Via Brampton Blades)

2. Turku Outlaws

3. Minot Gladiators (Via Ottawa Lynx)

4. Yukon Rush (Via Oslo Storm)

5. Turku Outlaws (Via Saskatoon Wild)

6. Turku Outlaws (Via Vasteras Black Eagles)

7. Minot Gladiators

8. Bern Royals

9. Minot Gladiators (Via Yukon Rush)

10. Brampton Blades (Via Bratislava Watchmen)

So where exactly does Vojzek Svoboda fit in all of this? As mentioned, the talent level for the VHLM Dispersal Draft is extremely high and with so many gifted players of different position varieties, it’s really tough to gauge who goes first and who goes tenth. When asked about where he might go by one media outlet, Svoboda was just as perplexed and to the point. “I really have no idea. I’ve only had discussions with one General Manager and even from that conversation, the transparency regarding draft selection was difficult to configure. I guess we will all be pleasantly surprised in the end,” commented Svoboda.

2012_nhl_combine_zach_stepan.jpg

Svoboda at the VHLM Combine

However, when asked about team preference, Vojzek was just as blunt, citing that Yukon or Turku would be idea situations for him personally. “I just strongly believe that those two teams are doing the right things to better position themselves. They are well-run organizations with a clear vision. Both of those teams have good educated General Managers. Yukon just made a really good run after a pretty successful season, so that aspect is appealing to me, knowing that they should still be a competitive team. As for Turku, they are an up-and-coming team and with some high draft selections (numbers two, five and six), they too will be a team to watch out for,” mentioned Svoboda.

“Overall I’m just looking for a really good situation where I can play my game, be effective and improve on my draft stock. I’m also just looking to develop into a more complete player and I strongly believe the VHLM is the place for me to do that. The road to the VHL is through the VHLM and I’m really excited to get started.”

Content: 3/3 - Well, the cat's out of the bag now, so don't expect to wait too long on draft day. Going to be an interesting draft for sure and it will likely all hinge on whether or not Blaine Olynick is heading up to the VHL or not.

Grammar: 2/2 - Only one little thing:

would be idea situations = would be ideal situations

Appearance: 1/1 -  :Xcat:

Overall: 6/6 - (Y) (Y)