Pat Svoboda on His Ideal Team

StamkosFan

For players deciding what teams they want to end up in that aren't location-biased, they must consider the things that make them feel at home with a team. Pat Svoboda discussed the three most vital elements for him to be happy wherever he winds up:

"1. OPPORTUNITY. While I don't expect ice time to be handed to me, I'll work hard and earn it, so I don't want to be buried in the lineup. I want to have a chance to play a major role for my team and to become a franchise player. Playing on the power play is one of my top priorities, because it's my specialty. I don't want to be stapled to the bench for the whole season, that's for sure.

2. COOL GM. I want a GM that is willing to work with me and that can be understanding and accommodating of my needs. I'm thinking here in terms of contract, in terms of build, and just anything else that might arise. You never want conflict with your GM, so I want a GM that strives to make the players feel at home. You can be a team player without compromising your personal happiness, and I think understanding that shows that a team values you. That you're not just another name on the roster."

3. PATH TO TEAM SUCCESS. I'm completely okay with playing for a rebuilding team, I think it actually gives a bigger opportunity for me to step up and fill a role that is needed. But there has to be the right mentality too. If you're rebuilding, you need to be stockpiling young talent and to blossom into a contender within the span of a few seasons. It's no fun to be a bottom feeder every year. I want to see moves that are carrying the team in the right direction and that will prepare the team well for the future."