Dick Rash Contagious in First Two Games

nick_716

Although he has only played in 2 of Halifax’s last 6 games, Dick Rash is finding ways to show success early in his rookie campaign. In two games he has played in, Rash has assisted on two goals and maintained a +2 rating. When speaking to the media, Rash was most impressed with his +2 rating:

‘Teams have been finding ways to exploit some holes in our defense. It was tough to find success when the other team’s offense is putting up a combined 7 goals in your first two games. Having  a +2 rating over those two games really speaks to my game and how I am trying to establish a physical presence on the ice every night. I want teams to know I’m out there. They should be scared of getting caught with their heads down. If it allows our team to get a few loose pucks here and there I’m all in on pushing a physical agenda’

In terms of establishing a physical presence, Rash found himself in the box twice in his two games for a total of 4 PIMs. The penalties? Cross-checking and roughing.

‘I’m not here to give people passes in front of the net and on the forecheck. If they’re in my way I am going to let them know. I’ll do whatever it takes to get to the puck. If it takes a two hand to the back, I’ll do it. Refs can only catch so much and to be honest I get away with more than they call on me.’

Management has yet to comment on how they feel about their gritty rookie. Seeing penalties on the scoresheet for cross-checking and roughing can be tough for managers to swallow, especially for a rookie talent, but Rash has been producing. He even logged a total of 5:59 on the powerplay over his first two games on the ice.

‘Getting some time on the PP was special. Not a role I played with the Benders but I went with it and continued to play my game. If I can win some battles on the boards and set up scoring opportunities I know I can be a sustainable contributor on the man advantage. Heck, if Vegas can put Baillie on their powerplay and expect success I guess every bender in the league has their chance to shine. Guy is a plug and I hope we go toe-to-toe one day.’

Looking forward, Nash just may get that opportunity. Halifax plays Vegas in a home-and-home series. Halifax getting the first home game and then traveling to Vegas. How is Rash feeling about it?

‘I hope see those puck bunnies out in full support. If I’m going to drop the mitts I better have a biddy waiting for me in the penalty box. But seriously, we need all the home support we can get. It will be tough to go to Vegas and put up a W if we lose the first one at home. Make it a date, hire the neighbors kid to babysit, and get out there and support the 21st.’

Looks like Vegas may have a handful when they come to Halifax. Looking forward to it.