Up-and-coming GM Gives thoughts on Expansion

Bonzaijoe

Today, we sat down with young GM Bonzaijoe after the expansion of the VHL and VHLM to ask him a few questions to find out his thoughts!

What are your initial thoughts on the expansion teams?'

"It's interesting. The new teams look great, I love the city choices and the GMs will be really fit for the job. It's gonna be a great new experience to see where these teams come into their leagues and seeing how well they perform early."

You said the GMs are fit for the job, are you disappointed in not being chosen?

"Not completely. A little, maybe, but I'm a young guy who's only performance as a GM was a lackluster loss in a bronze medal game of the WJC. I'm unproven, I'm new here still, I just have to keep my head up and find a spot where I fit in. Maybe a GM position isn't what I'm fit for, maybe it's not what I'm good for quite yet. Maybe an AGM position will open for me? It's all future discussion that I can't control now. The GMs were chosen, they're all great and they're gonna do an amazing job, I just have to ride the wave to see where I can go from here."'

What's your favorite new Name/Logo combo?

"The Reapers look dope. I've always digged the skulls/death theme for a team and thought that it would be a sick combo. The jersey potential there is endless, I hope I can see them soon because I'm super excited to see how they will look!"

Any comment on the movement of the Storm?

"I love Oslo, it's a great place and they have a lot of love for the sport there, but the Storm were not prospering sadly. The change of scenery is gonna be nice for them and they won't regret that move. Minnesota is such a hockey hotbed, the fan and talent potential is so great in that state that an addition of a franchise was really coming. We'll see how it works out but I expect that building to be absolutely rocking."

You spoke earlier about your performance in the WJC, care to elaborate?

"It's an interesting subject. I loved the team I put together for that tournament and they were some really great hockey players, I'd love to work with them again in the future, but that last game we just couldn't pull it off. Team Canada and Europe were basically unbeatable. Those teams are so solid and so set in stone that it was insane we were even playing in the same tournament, to be honest. Everything else said, though, the Bronze medal game was a little disappointing for us. That team worked so hard and we busted our asses to be competitive and we just fell short. That's not on the team, I have nothing but love for those guys and the experience I got from that GMing job is something that nothing else can compare to. At the end of the day, something was just off in that game and we just couldn't get it done. We'll get it back though, I believe in those guys and know that Team USA will be dominant again when some of those really good up-and-coming guys play in their second WJC."

Huge thank you to Bonzaijoe for sitting down with us today in our conference room. We appreciate the time and look forward to hearing his name in GM talks more in the future!