VHL - Blast From The Past - Alexander Beketov

I arrived at Alexander Beketov’s house in Los Angeles. Knock, knock, knock.

“Hello?” A voice said.

“I am here to meet and spend a day with Alexander Beketov.” I carefully replied.

Me, the dumbass, almost called him Alexander Barkov. You know, the Panthers star. This guy is way more impressive. He is a Hall of Famer and has an award named after him. The award is awarded to the player who is awarded with the most assists. (I like the word award.)

We said our greetings and I walked in his house. We chatted about hockey. Literally all about hockey, I don’t have a life, do I? He told me he tried to work as an Assistant AHL Coach after retiring from his illustrious career, but eventually he figured out it wasn’t for him. He, however, was the player agent type.

As usual, I saved the following for the next day. Then, I woke up and followed him around. He checked his clients emails and then went into his office. He was making calls with teams, other agents, and potential new clients. When we had lunch, it was mostly just business stuff. We then went out and helped out with the VHL charity work. Business, business, business. We did go to Tim Hort-I mean Starbucks after. (I, of course, stuffed a box of Tim’s Donuts I smuggled from Canada in my mouth. As well as some Kinder Eggs which are illegal in America. So, technically, I’m a criminal!)

Now time for the part I bet nobody reads. Question time!

I asked him what part of his career he was most proud of.

He responded, “Obviously the first ballot hall of fame induction meant a lot. I was never expecting to get in, let alone that quickly, so it was a huge day. Hoisting the cup in my final game was also fantastic, there’s nothing quite like going out on top.”

I then asked what part of his career that he regretted the most.

“Though I loved going out on top I do regret retiring early. I honestly had a few good years left in me I think and I wasted them away by not going until the end. You never know what could have potentially happened though, at least I went out on my terms.”

And finally, as usual, I asked him what advice he had for young VHL players.

Don’t lock yourself in as a singular type of player. When I was coming up the ranks I was a sniper, plain and simple. I loved to score and I was good at it. When I hit the VHL though that’s wasn’t working in my favour as much as it had before; I realized I needed to make a change. That’s when I started passing more and the rest is history as it were. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that I wouldn’t have the assist award in my name, let alone the hall of fame, if i had stuck to trying to score when the league has other plans for me."

After that, we said our goodbyes. I swear, as soon as I twisted the door handle, he rushed right back into business stuff. This guy better be paid a lot.