Basaraba Moose Talks Friendship with John Madden, VHLM Career

Toasty

When I was 9 years old, I met John Madden, playing AAA Atom hockey, and we became the best of friends. We used to hang out every day and together we lit up the league for 3 seasons, me on the point and John on the wing. However, as time went on and John got more dominant, he started becoming a puck-hog and a coach's pet and I began to get jealous, though I kept my feelings under wraps as I didn't want to ruin our friendship. In 2013, John told me that he had been invited by a scout in Calgary to play rep hockey, and would be moving away the following summer. I felt sad and betrayed and I wasn't happy with my friend. Our parents set us up for one final visit in the week before he left and it ended with me hitting him over the head with a mini-stick and being sent home. I was devastated and regretted my actions for years. Letting my emotions for sports get  in the way of a great friendship.

I wanted nothing more but to make up with John, but I never saw him again. Until... I signed a mid-season, one year contract with the Halifax 21st of the VHLM, having just come off a good midget AAA career in Prince George and looking for a team. I had not forgotten my old friend, but I did not expect to see him in the arena lobby when I arrived for practice that week. We instantly rekindled our friendship and although I struggled throughout the season, John helped me fit in and get to know everyone. He was a great role-model for me and I felt like I was on top of the world when we played together. I made other great friends that season with the likes of Jesse Wilson and Nathan MacKinnon, both of whom were outstanding players.

I felt right at home in Halifax to the point of not wanting to leave, but all good things must come to an end and we were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, after giving up a 3-1 series lead to the eventual Founder's Cup champions, the Saskatoon Wild.

At the end of the season, Halifax GM, Shawn Glade announced his retirement, and new, unfamiliar management stepped in. I was sent into the VHLM draft where I was picked up by the Las Vegas Aces. John was still in Halifax, but a lot of my good friends had moved on from there, mostly to the VHL. I had a rough season in Las Vegas. In my first 34 games with the team, I only managed 2 assists and I got less and less ice-time each game. I felt like I had gotten to a new low in my life and nothing was working for me. I wasn't liked or respected in Las Vegas and I would hear grumblings about my lack of effort and such.

About halfway through the season was my turning point. I just couldn't take anymore of the season in Las Vegas and I knew I wanted out, because I wasn't having any fun with the team. I decided to call up John and talk to him about how much I hated playing for the Aces and how much I missed Halifax. He talked to management about putting together a trade for me and before I knew it, I was on my way back to Halifax. When I arrived, I was reunited with John and some of my other ex-teammates such as Nathan MacKinnon and Nikita Flipachyev. I was introduced to some other newer players such as Teagan Glover and Elasmobranch Fish. The next day, I hit the ice with Halifax and my game began going to a new level. The management was impressed and tried my out on the power-play and I began producing at 0.5 P/GP, which was very good by my standards.

The team jelled well at the end of the season, led by John, Bolt Vanderhuge and Diljodh Starload. We finished second behind Las Vegas and enjoyed a great playoff run with late additions such as Shane Mars and Hunter Hearst Helmsley, both of whom had amazing playoff showings. We were eventually knocked out by Las Vegas in the finals, 2 wins short of a Founder's Cup title. This loss marked the end of John's career in Halifax and we once again, said our goodbyes, except for this time we were on good terms doing so. John headed to Davos to play in the VHL while I stayed in Halifax to prepare for my third season with the 21st.

I worked extra hard on my game over the summer and it really payed off. I came to camp in S65 in top shape and made the first pair for the first time in my career. My season got off to a great start and I scored 10 goals in my first 14 games, blowing past my points record in only 11 games. Suddenly I was the go-to guy, the number one defenseman for Halifax and I can't lie, it felt good. My game continued picking up as the season progressed and Halifax found themselves in first once again. We added great players through free agency along the way and the team began looking real good. As of today, Halifax is still on top of the league, a point ahead of Minnesota with a game in hand. We just resigned my good friend Nathan MacKinnon and he will improve our team a fair amount.

And what about my plan? I want to spend a season in Riga before hopefully heading to Davos as a UFA to play with John, for my ex-GM Shawn Glade. I don't want to take things too quickly, my career is just getting started, but I'm loving every bit of it and can't wait to make a name for myself as a top-notch stay at home defenseman.

1,000 Words

Claiming for weeks ending March 31st and April 7th.

Edited by Toasty