Hackett, on Draft: "[My agent] literally just writes essays about it"

Renomitsu

Saskatoon, SK – Apollo Hackett doesn’t like discussing the draft.

“Doesn’t my agent do enough of that for you guys?” he playfully asked a gaggle of reporters at a recent presser, “He literally just writes essays about the it so I don't have to.”

Hackett’s blasé attitude towards the draft comes off of this week’s splurge of talking head discussion around the VHL Entry Draft, with nearly a dozen mock drafts coming from different members of the community. The most official of the lot published by the VHL Scouting Center showed the young American defender going in the third round (pick 26), significantly higher than many expected from a very green prospect.

“I’ve definitely been putting in work with the team trainers, but there’s still a lot to get used to. Love attending other minor league games and seeing who’s who, and you can tell who’s going in the first round; that's about it for me.”

At present, he’s regarded as one of the top ten defensemen in this season’s draft, but he may be as puzzling to GMs as any player in the field right now. It seems unlikely he’ll breach anything above the late second round, but team executives have made stranger moves in the past.