R.I.P. Vesto Slipher

Hybrid1486

Since last week was a theme week, I didn't get a chance to properly explain my sudden retirement of one of the top ten TPE players in the middle of his prime, so I'll go ahead and do that now.

Simply put, I just got tired of Slipher. At the beginning of his career I thought his stats were held back by being on a three-line team, especially in that monster offensive season of S62. This season, though, I realized he was just destined to be an okay player. He was a fixture in the mid-20's in the scoring ranks, and somehow didn't manage to eclipse my personal record of 33 goals in a season (set by Alex Stoyanovich in S20) despite having a scoring rating in the 90's for most of his career.

So, yawn. I got tired of putting in work for a guy who was struggling to really do anything and decided to take a stronger interest in a defenseman. I was going to go with a goalie, but I still can't make sense of the market there. I've never put a ton into a defender aside from the beginning of Clint Guite's career, and he ended up being a dud of a first overall pick, so I don't know how this will go.

That said, Slipher set my new personal bar with over 850 TPE. That's barely over halfway to the record, and inflation definitely factors in, but still. That's worth something. I'm hoping he can cap his career off with an upset string in the playoffs and my first Continental Cup with an active player.