Minnesota wins the Founder's Cup

solas

The final game of the VHLM season has been played, and the champions have been crowned: the Minnesota Storm are the Season 65 Founder’s Cup Champions after defeating the Halifax 21st in six games.  This win capped off what was an outstanding season for the Storm, who finished at the top of the standings in the regular season with 103 points - the team’s highest point total in 10 seasons.  Center Orion Slade, defenseman Denver Wolfe, and winger Shane Mars, each of whom were among the highest-scoring players in the league, were some of the most impactful players to play the full season for the Storm.  Meanwhile, Codrick Past and Wendy Kandee Cain proved to be very helpful mid-season additions.

One such player who spent the whole season in Minnesota was Faroese defenseman Aron Nielsen.  Nielsen is a Season 66 VHL draft prospect who was selected by Minnesota 10th overall in the S65 VHLM dispersal draft and found his first taste of team success in VHL/VHLM system with this Founder’s Cup victory.  “It felt great to win that title.  It still feels great.  I’ve been a part of a championship team before, back in Denmark, but this is a bit different.  It feels like the start of something new, something big.  Plus I knew this would probably be my last chance at a Founders’ Cup with the VHL draft coming up.  It was great to play with such a fantastic group of players.  I hope we get to be teammates again in the future.”