Risen, from the depths of anonymity

Kirby

It was only six weeks ago that Maximilian Kirbsson was regarded as one of the three undisputed prospects coming out of the VHLM. He had the world at his feet and could do literally no wrong. Fast forward to now, and he slid to the late 20’s in the Entry Level draft.

So my question is... why? And how?

Plain and simple, his lifestyle drifted to wild parties and less training sessions. When you’re 18 years old, this happens. It’s a process of trial and error and it is just a shame that it came at a time when he needed to be looking at his best to VHL scouts.

So did New York really just got the true steal of the draft? I mean, it’s claimed by many, that they are the steal of the draft. But who’s claim can be stronger than Kirbsson’s, if he has indeed sorted his lifestyle out now?

There is another fact that will benefit Kirbsson. New York already has two great and one good Centers. This will only benefit a kid that may need a bit of time to catch up to his fellow draftees.

Kirbsson was one of the best players in the VHLM season and he almost led the Bulls to a surprise championship. He brings savvy attacking play with some of the best passing ability not only in the minors, but I’d argue he playmakes as good as most in the majors. Period.

There’s no denying that there is a long road ahead for the young Swede, and whether he manages to make the cut is still yet to be seen but to see such a naturally gifted talent slide so quickly, it truly is shocking and shows just how short the general public, and the scouts memories are.

So where do we see Kirbsson fitting in right now?

If he can put the work in this off season then there may be a spot for him leading the third line. It’s a big if but it’s not unthinkable. The first two lines are going to be out of play for the significant future, unless something crazy happens like a wild trade or something.

Hard work, and dedication, is all that will bring Kirbsson to relevance again. I mean, he did it once, right? Surely he can do it again, right?

He’s already been spotted in New York, this time with his family not a girl, looking at apartments to rent in downtown. My advice to you sir, would be to stay away from the nightlife. Because it’s even more addictive in the Big Apple.

So for now we wait, time will tell us if New York got the true steal of the draft. The fall of Kirbsson is no more and finally, the Prince of Sweden has a professional home. There is plenty of time now between the off season and the first game of the season so I’m sure we will get more updates along the way.

Wishing you the very best of luck Maximilian, welcome to professional Hockey.