Flowers Reflects on First Week

Card image cap

Halifax, NS -- This time last week, English defenseman Lance Flowers didn’t know where he’d be beginning his VHLM career. But now, Flowers has not only found a home, he’s integrated himself into the team structure quite well.

After receiving offers from a number of top teams, Flowers decided to sign with Halifax 21st, currently sitting fourth in the VHLM. For Flowers, Halifax represented the perfect combination of playing time, the ability to win, and attitude fit. Plus, the work of the team’s management team certainly didn’t hurt.

“There were a number of teams that talked about getting me publicly, but only one actually reached out privately to talk the team’s vision. That means a lot to me,” Flowers said. “If they’re willing to go the extra mile and take time to recruit, I figured they’d do the same out on the ice as well.”

Flowers slotted onto the team’s second line immediately, putting up an impressive 6 assists, 7 points, 10 shots blocked, and 7 plus-minus in his first 10 games on the ice. And in that time, Halifax hasn’t been half bad themselves, with a recent loss to the Hounds as the team’s only blemish since he joined.

However, Flowers has loftier goals as Halifax heads down the stretch towards the postseason – not only a top three seed, but a larger role for himself. “I’d certainly like to be on the first line by the time we hit the postseason. I’ve put in the work, and I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility,” Flowers recently told reporters. “I’m cool with whatever the coaches want to do, but I feel like I have a lot to offer. Whatever happens, happens. I just want to win however possible.”