Wroclaw Times - Eagles cleans out his locker

Greg_Di

Final day for Eagles as a Marlin

1c0beba7f6a5e025cf777e4ec28b5bc0.png
Eagles will leave with lasting memories of San Diego

The San Diego Marlins were ousted from the 2019 VHLM Playoffs by the Halifax 21st and the players were at the Marlins Arena cleaning out their lockers today.

The second-seeded Halifax swept the Marlins in 4 games. This was the first ever playoff appearance for San Diego who did not perform to expectations. The Marlins will have to look to next season to try and achieve their first ever playoff win.

Marlins goalie Greg Eagles said it was tough to lose but that it wasn’t because of a lack of effort.

“There’s definitely times in the season when it was challenging to stay motivated or to give it 100% but I feel like I finished the season off, personally, on a good note” said Eagles “ but as for the playoffs, I think I could have definitely played better. I also think it takes a couple of days to settle in that were no longer playing hockey and that this was our last time playing together as a team. Obviously you’re kind of wishing you’re one of the teams that are still playing and vying for the cup. The initial blow when you’re out, you’re kind of in shock a little bit but I think after a couple days of thinking what went on, I think you realize we had a good thing going and couldn’t take advantage of that. I will always remember my time here in San Diego, we had a great group of players and I wish them all the best in the draft”

Eagles said San Diego was playing their best hockey in the first half of the season but the second half and heading into the playoffs the Marlins just couldn’t get it done.

“Reality is they were a better team and they deserved to win, They definitely were on of the favorites to win it all” he said. “I always want to be a guy to make a difference in net and for my team and when you can’t do that and have a terrible game one where we lost 8-1, it can weigh on you and like I said, I wanted to be that guy that can be counted on and produce and help the Marlins advance, unfortunately that did not happen. It would have been great for this group to get San Diego their first ever playoff win, and we definitely came close in those 2 overtime losses but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be”

We here at the Wroclaw Times have followed the team throughout the whole season and it is very unfortunate how it ended. We now shift focus to the upcoming draft as we await and see where Greg Eagles will go. Many rumours are suggesting late 2nd or early 3rd round for the netminder due to a low need for goalies in the VHL currently. That being said Greg will be a steal at that round as he has shown improvement week in and week out.

“You know, to me it doesn’t matter where I go. I fully expect to be a backup for the first 1-2 seasons. I just want to be given a chance and an opportunity to prove myself”

Edited by Greg_Di