Samuel Gate has big day in final game

scoop

Samuel Gate has played for Team Mercenaries in each of the past three world cups after being FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY by Team USA again and again. While the decisions were certainly reasonable, Gate was definitely a more skilled player than Peter Quill in S62 and was at least top four in S64, but it was close.*  This year, you could had made an argument for either Marvin Harding or Gate as the last defenseman on the roster; but Gate, fresh off his best season in the VHL (for which he was named the Top Defenseman), was neglected once again.

With Gate retiring from the VHL, this World Cup would be his last time playing competitive hockey. Team Mercenaries fared quite well, finishing 7-2-1 in the Round Robin stage (their best during Gate's time as a member of the team). After losing in the semi-finals to Team Canada, Samuel Gate's final game would be set. Team Mercenaries were going to be playing against Team USA in the bronze medal game. Team USA came into this World Cup having won eight straight medals, tied for the longest run in World Cup history. Meanwhile, Team Mercenaries had only ever won a medal once, a bronze back in S46.

Gate had a fantastic game against Team USA. Within 2 minutes and 34 seconds, he had already recorded two assists. Before ten minutes were up in the game, he scored a goal to put Team Mercenaries up 4-0. The score was 5-3 at the end of it all, with Gate also having five hits and three shots blocked. He was named the second star of the game.

As a side note, I'm now tied with @Beketov for most bronze medals at eight.

*I believe I was still active in S62 so that decision is a bit questionable, but my inactivity for S64 makes the small difference justifiable.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, street said:

As a side note, I'm now tied with @Beketov for most bronze medals at eight.

I didn’t even know this was a record I had.