Blog Entry 1: Alyksander Hunter [1/2]

Jaku

Blog Entry number 1:

Learning to live in a California city. 

xelpav.jpg

What a whirlwind ride it's been over the last couple months. Moving from a small, mountain town of 5000 people to a beach side city with 1.4 million people. Even going from Kelowna to San Diego is a big change. I think Kelowna only has about 100,000 people.  I think I'm finally just getting used to the pace of the city.

It's hot here, not scorching hot, but I don't think it's been below 20 degrees during the day. The evenings are nice, there's a park not far from here - Balboa park is the name. It's huge, 1200 acres or something? Lot's of families visit it, every once in a while there's an event or a small outdoor concert that goes on there. It's a nice place to go on a day off. 

The team helped me find an apartment in an area called Hillcrest. It's a homey part of the city, lots of farmers markets on weekends, a great place to buy fresh fruits and veggies. I even bought a homemade colourful wristband from an older Spanish lady, she was kind. 

The practice rink and arena aren't too far from here, it's about a 15 minute car ride, depending on the traffic. I like to ride my bike every once in a while. It's a bit of a jaunt but it's a good way to get the legs warmed up before a game. 

The guys are unreal, what I mean by that is - they're all an amazing group of guys. I've been close to team-mates before, I've had lots of friends in the game before but since day one of being here I've never felt closer to any group. They weren't only kind to me, they were all very helpful getting set up. Helping me find local restaurants, grocery stores, car rentals, anything of that sort. It's been unbelievable. The first practice we had, the guys all got together after and wanted to get a drink. Me being 18, I can't drink in the states, so the guys all decided to go to a sports grill called Sandbars. Like all other sports grills there were TV's playing all sorts of sports. Lots of baseball and football. I know we hadn't even started into the season yet, but I don't think there was one mention of hockey. It was strange. Us Canadians are so hockey crazy, it was so odd not seeing anyone talk about hockey. 

I know when my friends and family read this they'll ask me why we're struggling. This hockey is so much more intense than I've ever been a part. This is pro hockey, the pace even at the minor level is fast, everyone is fast, everyone has great skills. They're all fighting for a chance, they're all looking for an opportunity to be noticed by a VHL scout. This is a chance to show off that skill they've been honing for their entire life. These guys are fighting for their lives, essentially. Give us time, we're learning. We'll get there. 

All-in-all California has been a fantastic experience. The travel isn't bad, you get used to the plane rides, after the first few roadies anyways. 

Thanks for giving this a read! I'm hoping to blog a little more in the near future. 

Cheers,

Alyksander. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Blog Entry 1: Alyksander Hunter [1/2]