Making The Case For Expansion: More Expansion?

Sixersfan594

Making The Case For Expansion: More Expansion?

banner.png.cbc1ab8c3f737c869c8a9c82eccf6327.png

Expansion is always a big subject when it comes down to sim leagues, and it is something which has been happening in many leagues due to the affiliation. While many of the articles go in depth about where the team might be, do profiles on the General Managers and such -- I would rather focus on the concept of expanding the VHL once again. I remember when I was first here there was an expansion and I believe the two teams were the Cologne Express and the Quebec City Meute. It was game-changing at the time as the VHL had usually stuck with a similar amount of teams over the years. Expansion always seems to bring some excitement while hamstringing players unfortunate enough to be on the team for the first few seasons until they either retire, or leave the team. When thinking about this expansion my first thoughts were from an article I read within my first week back in the VHL in a while. It explored whether expansion was even necessary and I thought that it was a valid idea from the user. The VHL operates quite differently to other leagues as it places a heavy focus on the top six forwards and top four defensemen. The league enjoys having plenty of minutes and that really is something that gravitates users towards this league structure. When comparing it to the SHL there are clear differences -- this league wants you in the pros as soon as possible and wants you to succeed nearly right away. With enough minutes to rack up points you are an engaged user and someone who will check on sims often thus making it likely for you to stay active. With players suddenly bum rushing the league following the multi-league affiliation that task became more difficult and the ability for younger players to gain opportunities started to vanish thus leading to this expansion. 

patrik-laine-wants-10m-a-year-or-hes-out-of-winnipeg-here-are-some-potential-trade-destinations-for-laine-rumors.jpg

Twenty new top six and top four spots opened up as well as two starting goalie spots and that is something that is extremely important to take note of. The ability to have "starting" positions open up easily is something that can help a league grow and I would not be surprised to see this move lead to a second expansion in a few seasons. With draft classes producing about twenty to thirty potential viable players for franchises it would be split into approximately two to three of those spots eventually being held by said players. Expanding that figure across eight seasons that would be about sixteen to twenty-four spots via draft class. Now when breaking that down to include draft busts and down years you can project with the current breakdown about twelve to sixteen users over the course of eight seasons to be "top six/top four/starting" players. Given how quik careers can go by on the VHL it is important that there are opportunities for when people recreate. This expansion is a step in the right direction, however if teams consistently leave drafts with at least two guaranteed eventual top six/four/starting players then another expansion is about to occur. If the league wants to grow then open up opportunities for the future, if they are cautious they will wait until people start to fall-off in activity due to a lack of opportunities. The future of the VHL is here and it may continue to arrive in waves of new teams.