The Art Of Decision Making

elrune1988

Decisions Are Never Easy

At the very core of his or her being – an athlete is an individual who can make acute and precise decisions in a minimal amount of time to accomplish a goal.

Think about it.

source.gif

Your favourite hockey player steps on the ice and immediately starts calculating. Where do I need to go? Who has the puck? Is it possible for me to get the puck? Or, should I let my teammate gather it? Ok, we have the puck now. Where do I need to go to put myself in position to get the puck? Where are the opposition positioned? Is there room for me to make a run at the net - if I do get the puck? Should I not even be thinking about getting the puck and working to support someone else who gets it instead? Were in the offensive zone now. Where are the soft spots? Where do I need to go to be hidden? Should I shoot – or pass?  Deke? A perfect play – is a perfect set of decisions made properly.

As you likely opined – the above is a lot of questions in a very minimal amount of time. Hesitate once and you cost your team. Make a wrong decision and the puck goes the other way. A perfect decision and you could be celebrating to goal horns.

connor.gif

Needless to say – making decisions is hard. But we must all make them. Some of us choose to put ourselves in the position to make easy decisions, “Will I go to the bathroom this time? Or just let it out in my pants?” or, “Will I shower today? Or should I not to distract my co-workers.” Fundamental decisions that have some level of impact on a day but really do not carry much weight.

Others choose to be leaders and must make the tough decisions – as we have seen in the VHL over the last 48-hours. No decision comes without a consequence. I tell my kiddos this all the time. You are free to make a choice. But you are not free from the consequences of that choice.

This is an exciting time for the VHL – the management group – the GMs – the players. The VHL is expanding! We are opening the gates and positioning ourselves for growth and new heights as this league moves forward. But as was obvious – first that raw future needed a direction.

Anyway – down to the point of this media spot on expansion. With all the noise over the last 24-hours – I felt it necessary to give a quik shout-out to an individual that I know will be a great GM for the expansion franchise that is now newly established.

It was three weeks ago that Enorama came into the EHM league that I Commish and posted his article about the VHL and how awesome it is. Since making the decision to join this league – he has been the voice, taken the care and has pushed forward the same qualities that some individuals have thrown around in favour of another individual that was unfortunately passed over in this instance for the role. Personally – having talked with Enorama at length about the league – his thoughts on it and his plans. As well as having him assist both myself and two other recruits. These qualities have helped push me to become an active member and stay engaged – albeit briefly – within this community.

I understand that we all don’t have to agree with the decisions that are made – all the time.

source.gif

Congrats @Enorama! As the guy who brought me into VHL – I am pumped to see you get your team and look forward to watching your successes!

Edited by elrune1988