Future of Davos and Werbenjagermanjensen

FUTURE OF DAVOS AND WERBENJAGERMANJENSEN

DAVOS, SWITZERLAND - The season ended a little bit earlier than the fans hoped for in Davos. After comfortably not making the playoffs by not finishing 3rd in the European Conference or better than the 3rd place team in the North American Conference, the players were able to go home a little bit earlier than expected. For Smitty, this meant returning to Philadelphia and watching his clone Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen play in the SBA's NCAA Texas Longhorns. However, this off-season is slightly different, as Smitty's 3 year rookie contract will expire at the end of the calendar year.

For better or for worse, HC Davos Dynamo are currently at a cross-roads. They have the ammo in draft picks and young players to add veteran pieces to a core of Davis, Werbenjagermanjesen, Madden, and Crimson. On the other hand, they also have the draft picks, young players, and veterans to ship off to kick start a re-build. I don't think either decision is the wrong decision. It's entirely plausible that Davos could go scorched earth trade all draft pick style of Toronto and compete, or re-start a rebuild similar to the one that saw Davos potentially become a contender a few seasons ago. The only wrong choice, in my opinion, is committing to neither. As currently constructed, the team is not good enough to just keep adding draft picks and developing them. Doing that would continue to keep Davos in mediocrity - good enough to make the playoffs some years and make some noise, but never be a true top of the conference team, but not bad enough to enter the 4 team lottery for 1st overall.

Talks between Werbenjagermanjensen's agent and Davos GM are positive, and it's looking increasingly likely that the defenseman will sign an extension to remain in Davos. The length and further details of the contract have not yet leaked to the press. With that in mind, Smitty's agreement to re-sign in Davos shows hit commitment to the team, fans, and management that one way or another, Werbenjagermanjensen will do right by the franchise.

From a personal perspective, Smitty's career is off to an OK start. The veteran defenseman broke out offensively, but the results are not yet there to call him a true superstar in this league. It has been a goal of Smitty's to make the Hall of Fame, and while it's certainly possible still, it will take a couple of excellent seasons and awards that have not happened. Last season, in 72 games, Smitty accrued 19 goals and 44 assists for 63 points. It's a goal of Smitty's to reach the 25 goal mark, but it is extremely rare for defensemen to score that much in the modern VHL. Going into the start of next season, Werbenjagermanjensen will be around 850 applied practice hours, so next season should be the one where Smitty is recognized as a true star in the Victory Hockey League. With all that said, Werbenjagermanjensen will do what he can do, and let everything else fall into place.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that exact feeling of disappointment after Yukon's finish. I'm interested to see how the situation in Davos goes down. Although the spot could have some imagery, overall it was a comfy read for me!