Palo´s off-season

jRuutu

dunce.jpg

Been a hectic couple weeks, to get ready for the third depreciation hit I spent around 18 or 19 million dollars. Now that the depreciation is over - I can say that I´m fairly close to being the same player as last year! That is good news and shows the money was well spent, but I plan on working hard in the near future and improve as a player, so my last year in the league will be a positive one - hoping to hit 100 points!

More on the dramatic side of things was me getting fined by the league, I´m an active blogger and a internet user, sometimes commenting and having fun goes too far, especially when you are a virtual athelete - people expect more from you. Punishment was not too bad, lost around 6 or so TPE, would have liked to get those, but need to pay the price.

Despite the controversy I was still picked to represent Team Scandinavia in the S68 World Cup! Always cool when you get to play in those games, unfortunately we did not play as well as we could have, top teams and top players against us, but we all expected to play few more games and bring home an medal, had enough talent in the team. In all fairness knockout games are cold games, Team World kicked us out in the quartefinals by winning 4-2, they were a better team in that game and deserved to go forward. As a positive thing, during the round robin games I managed to collect 12 points in 10 games, but with 64 shots I scored only 3 goals.

hockeynetbackstop.jpg

S68 World Cup is over already, USA won Team World and took the gold medals. I have been taking it easy for multiple days now, recovering from the World Cup and getting ready for VHL season to start. I have tried to practice little bit, I was kinda annoyed how tough time I had scoring goals in the World Cup, plywood and net in my backyard - shooting drills.

Somebody might be wondering what good that brings if I´m retiring soon, surely its too late now? Could be true, but its not all about learning a skill, more about being ready when you get the puck. No time to look around, you need to know exactly where the net is and shoot. That being ready feel is sometimes lost or I feel like I don´t have that edge in every game, perhaps that is normal for veteran players, but I want to win and play well next season, that is why I have been shooting around little bit even if I could just sit in one of the many beaches in Latvia.

Overall, off-season has been busy, not too busy though. Been able to relax and also practice without any injuries or anything like that. Hopefully the upcoming season starts well, big confidence boost and would go a long way in making this season a great one. Riga as a team has the potential to win it all, I have set a 100 point goal for myself, regular season could not get here fast enough!