Heavy hitters meet

jRuutu

kidsforquebec-1.jpg

The game between San Diego Marlins and Ottawa Lynx last night was more than just two top teams in VHLM playing against each other, the game was also a match between two of the league's best hitters. Thomas Landry II of San Diego and Ottawa Lynx winger Jim Bob. Before the game Landry II was the only player in VHLM with over 100 hits in 24 games, he had 129. Bob was at 98, so expectations were high in both camps. Evenly matched teams playing against each other usually means even number of opportunities to throw the body around and this time it was no different, the game was even battle.

San Diego scored the first goal when around eight minutes of the first period was played, Roadkill Steve put one into the net, Landry II and Roque Davis with the assists. The fitting answer came two minutes later when Ola Vikingstad made it 1-1, Jim Bob with the assist.  The highlight of the first period came when around one minute was played, Thomas Landry II got destroyed in the neutral ice moment after receiving a pass from Steve, Jim Bob with the big hit.

Start to the second period was bad from Ottawa, San Diego scored twice when Steve scored his second and only three minutes later Roque Davis scored to make it 3-1 for San Diego.  At that point, Ottawa had to score the next one or the game was as good as over, much to the delight of Lynx fans, Adam Syreck scored 3-2 goal and game was wide open! No more goals were seen in the second period.

The third period started once again poorly for Ottawa, Kyl Offerson scored 4-2 goal when little over one minute of the third was played. Ottawa tried and tried, finally when only two minutes were left in the clock - Richard Penisson scored for Ottawa and made it 4-3, but it was too late, San Diego took the win 4-3.

a8zz5Lnv_400x400.jpg

How did the leading hitters play? Landry II had 0+1 with 5 hits, Jim Bob had 0+1 with 6 hits! Not a surprise perhaps to see Bob with a slight edge in hits, San Diego was the better team during the first two periods, outshot Ottawa 11-6 in the first period and 12-5 in the second. The third period was more even in shots, 11-10 for Ottawa.
With the win San Diego is in 38 points and sitting third in the standings, Ottawa no longer the number one team, dropped to second place when Minnesota drove to lead with 46 points, Ottawa is at 44 at the moment.

Going to be an interesting season, who will have the best regular-season record? Minnesota and Ottawa are ahead right now but mentioned San Diego is not far behind, same with Houston and Philadelphia who are the other teams who have managed to collect over 30 points.

Thomas Landry II is leading the hits category with 134 hits after 25 games, Jim Bob second with 104, Griff Manzer only six hits behind Bob and the third one to most likely reach 100 hits, but Landry II is almost running away with the top hitter title, however, there is still plenty of hockey left!

It really helps that I'm the only physical forward on the Marlins, so I have no competition for hits other than the blueliners. Kind of like how defensemen on poor teams that give up a ton of shots record substantially more blocked shots. Just a fun little wrinkle of STHS!

Keep the hits coming! :cheers:

1 hour ago, Doomsday said:

It really helps that I'm the only physical forward on the Marlins, so I have no competition for hits other than the blueliners. Kind of like how defensemen on poor teams that give up a ton of shots record substantially more blocked shots. Just a fun little wrinkle of STHS!

Keep the hits coming! :cheers:

Helps for sure, might even hit well over 300 this year :o Would be cool milestone, I´m lucky to get 250

3 hours ago, jRuutu said:

Helps for sure, might even hit well over 300 this year :o Would be cool milestone, I´m lucky to get 250

300 hits was my goal before the season, so I'm really pumped to be on pace to get it!

3 hours ago, jRuutu said:

300 hits was my goal before the season, so I'm really pumped to be on pace to get it!