Valencia headed to Ottawa

scoop

The next step in Izzy Valencia's hockey journey has him moving east to Ottawa after being selected 20th overall by the Lynx in the VHLM draft. It was the team's first pick in the draft, closing out the second round. He was one of just two players added to the team that night, and they have lost several key pieces from their second place finish a season ago. They still have some good players, including goaltender Joakim Bruden, who struggled last season, but should be one of the team leaders this year. With the way the current roster is shaping up, Valencia could play a major role on the team, and he might have to if the team is going to succeed. While there are certainly better forwards on the team, an improved Valencia would provide important depth to the team.

Going into the draft, Valencia was expecting to be drafted in the early-to-mid third round. Taken a bit above where he thought he would be, Valencia is eager to prove that the team did not make a mistake. "I think there might be some players who are more skilled than me taken later," the Spaniard had to say. "I think part of it is that the team saw something in me that they can bring out. I'm going to do everything I can to reach my full potential and help this team as much as I can."