Flowers Pleased by Wylde Trophy

Hfw3gf_wiOwuScskQAxlIdhdGg9_Gau3uL346GjZXctjNMdVmjp8HeJT5FE3hnPfMmAU63Fox-x6IwHr0DX3zU4DDyv0FGF0KbNNswr1kLDb09OwDj7OokEqBzblGrRbp80Vga2K

Manhattan -- The VHL held its award ceremony yesterday for S72, which Raymond Bernard and Condor Adrienne among those taking home the night's top awards. But there was also one player who got up on stage who was just happy to be there: New York defenseman Lance Flowers.

Flowers won the Wylde Trophy last night, given to the league's top defensive defenseman for the past season. It's Flowers second Wylde Trophy and third individual award in the VHL in total, though he hadn't won one since grabbing both the Wylde and Rookie of the Year in S68. Flowers told friends and family entering the night he had "a 50/50 shot" at winning the award, but voters apparently felt differently - he received 10 of the 11 total first place votes for the award.

"It feels good to see my play recognized, I'm not going to lie," Flowers said on stage when accepting his award. "I'm not the flashiest player out there; I prefer to get in the trenches, get a little dirty. Every team needs that sort of guy in order to have a full team effort, and I have no problem doing it so guys like Freeman, Burn and Nolan can pick us up on the other end."

Season 72 was the fifth one for Flowers; he'll now start showing his age a bit more in coming seasons. But still, he feels confident he'll be able to keep up his past level of play, and hopefully bring New York even further in the playoffs.

"Awards are nice, but I want something more," Flowers told media after the event. "It's that title. I haven't had it, New York hasn't had it in a while, and I think we're due. You can expect big things from us this season."