First Place? What's This?

:nya: New York Americans Report: A Hot Start for Once :nya:

Manhattan -- If there’s one thing that has been a hallmark of the New York Americans over the past five or so seasons, it’s been slow starts. It’s what doomed them to missing the playoffs in Seasons 70 and 71, and it’s what they had to battle back against to make runs to the third seed in Seasons 69 and 72. For one reason or another, it’s usually not until the halfway point that the Americans get their stuff together and make a run.

So it goes without saying that for many Americans fans, the start of this season has been a bit… odd. About 12 games in, New York currently sits on top of the VHL by a solid five point margin, getting off to a 10-1-1 start in their first 12 games. Those wins include one a piece against the two teams directly below them in the standings, Seattle and Toronto, and they’ve only played three games against expansion teams to boot (actually losing one against the Stars in OT).

“I’m not quite sure how we’ve done it. If I did, we would’ve done it earlier!” said defenseman Lance Flowers. “I think we’re finally just starting to gel as a team.”

Indeed, in an offseason of massive movement around the league, the Americans were one of the few teams that didn’t change much. Forward Soren Jensen went to the Dynamo in a deal that brought back forward Jerry Wang, and Wang is certainly making an impact with 20 points in 12 games. Keven Foreskin retired, and the team did bring in Bjorn Scoringsonn to replace him. But otherwise, the Americans’ lines are the same, which has allowed the team to keep some consistency.

“We brought in Burn and Freeman last year, and that was a big change. But we’ve been through the fire of the playoffs, and we know how each other play now,” Flowers added. “Things change quickly, but I’m hopeful that our hot streak is no fluke. It’s all about doing what we can to stay ahead of the competition.”