Wolf and the Media

ahockeyguy

Miami Marauders first-pairing defenseman Wolf Stansson had a bit of a spat with local reporters yesterday before the game about his recent on-ice performance. He hasn’t really scored, hasn’t really had assists, and hasn’t really done much of anything the last 3-4 games or so. “Are you kidding me?” Stansson asked in disbelief. “We’re winning nearly every game. We had one slip-up against Minnesota, and now the sky is falling?” the 18-year-old rhetorically asked. “I’m not even playing badly. We’re locking down opponents and Bacon is still making great saves. I am a part of the defense on this team, you know. This interview is over.” With that, Stansson stormed out of the locker room after the team’s practice.

The abruptness of his departure suggested a lot of anger, an anger he has been showing to the press with increasing intensity this season. Instead of sitting down for lots of interviews, as he has often done up until now, he will grant only brief interviews, where he doesn’t like to be criticized. In this author’s opinion, Stansson is going to need to develop some thicker skin when it comes to the media. If he does not, he will be facing a long career where he is more worried about what people think and say than what his on-ice product is.

There is one good thing that has come of this, however: Stansson recorded his fourth goal of the season (and first even-strength goal), and it stood up to be the game-winner. What this suggests is that he took the anger from being questioned at the interview and turned it into motivation for his game performance. This is not something that is sustainable for most athletes. For a time it will provide him with what he needs, but eventually the psychological effect will fade, and he will need something stronger. And therein lies the danger.

As a player, one does not want to alienate the press. They can and will focus on whatever they think a worthy story is. And as it turns out a worthy story is one in which Stansson is lashing out at the press and making a spectacle of himself by storming out of press conferences and interviews. This in turn will lead to Stansson becoming possibly more irritable, and that is not a persona one typically wishes to develop (save for perhaps in the WWE). Stansson seems to take every perceived slight personally. He will soon have to invent new ones to fuel his fire, or else make up rivalries and settle old scores that exist only in his mind. Whether that pays off for him athletically remains to be seen. One thing is sure: it is not a very good recipe for mental health.

When asked about all of this, Wolf responded to me via text message: “My Dad always says to be who you are. This is who I am. We’ll see where I end up.” That sounds less like a person who is trying to cause problems, but time will tell the whole story.

TrumpPC_TA-642237626.jpg

Edited by ahockeyguy

Review: You always find a way to write material that is genuinely interesting to read. The article is structurally sound and your grammar is on point. Not many people use pictures but I like the use of pictures in media spots. Building on your character and showing us different sides of Stansson has been a cool journey to follow and I am excited to read whatever you come up with next. Rating: 9/10

13 hours ago, ahockeyguy said:

Stansson seems to take every perceived slight personally. He will soon have to invent new ones to fuel his fire, or else make up rivalries and settle old scores that exist only in his mind.

Serious Michael Jordan in the Last Dance vibes, and that worked out pretty well for him

Review: 9.5/10
Great work you hockey guy you! I like how you've found your voice as a reporter, the style and voice and flow is fantastic. I like that the article is timely and relevant to games happening now. I like that you're not afraid to criticize your own player publicly. Adding a picture spruces things up a bit too. It's a damn good article!!