Johnson: A Playoff Reflection & What now?

Midnite

The buzzer rings as Aleelee Kiak from the Seattle Bears slips one past the D.C Dragons goalie, Stone Wolski, ending the overtime period. The score 3-2. Seattle advances to the NA Conference Finals after 6 back and forth games. Ricky Johnson makes a swift exit off the ice with his face clearly filled with both disappointment and frustration. It didn't take long for the VHL media to flow into the saddened D.C. locker room to ask questions in regards to the series and the game, giving the players very limited time to even think about grieving their final season game. 

Interviewer: "Hey Johnson. Do you have any comments about the game? Anything that could've gone differently to have changed the outcome?"

Johnson: "I'm not entirely sure what to say. We definitely were outshot, but managed to still keep the game close. We were more careless with our defensive plays and still managed to do well on our power kills. Personally I feel we all played to the best of our abilities and Seattle happened to just get the best of us in the end."

Interviewer: "What about yourself personally? Do you think you could've done more for the team during the playoff run?"

Johnson: "I feel as though the answer is pretty obvious. I gave my all out there every night, but of course I feel I could've definitely done things differently. You only get so many chances out there on the ice and during the playoffs each and every one of them can be a difference maker. So yea, I do feel I could've done more. 

Interviewer: "So with you guys now heading into the off-season, what can we expect from you next season?"

Johnson: "To come back better than before. I'll be entering my 6th season of playing professionally and I want to take that next step in becoming the player I envision myself to be. Best believe this off-season will consist of a lot of training. This won't be the last time you'll see me in the playoffs that's for sure".

With that Johnson had asked to be alone.

During the D.C. Dragons playoff run, Johnson had only recorded 3 points (1 goal and 2 assists). Despite the lackluster performance on the offensive side of the ice, he played a big part defensively blocking a total of 28 shots during the 11 games. Now entering his 6th season, it'll be interesting to see how Johnson develops as the retirement of Charles Drumm may open up the opportunity for him to play on the first line. He'll definitely be a player to keep an eye on going into next season.