General Zod's future uncertain

Matt_O

After a great sophomore season, Zod has built nicely upon that and started his third year in the league strong, with 8 points in 7 games, and Calgary has won three games in a row. However, one thing clouds Zod and the Wranglers: the impending free agency. Not only is Zod a free agent, but fellow S72 defenseman Latrell Mitchell also becomes a free agent this offseason. It would be in Calgary's best interest to re-sign one of these players obviously, but re-signing both isn't quite out of the question. 

"Everything in Calgary is great. Locker room is good, I'm putting up good numbers offensively and defensively while getting the chance to compete for a cup. The only reason I haven't re-signed is because I want to test free agency just to see what it's all about."

Zod made it clear he isn't just going to leave in free agency. Returning to Calgary is absolutely on the table, and if Zod had to make odds for his landing spots, Calgary would likely be the favorite. However, his desire to test the open market for the experience of doing it for the first time is perhaps the only thing stopping him from re-signing, and it's hard to imagine that the grass is greener on the other side for Zod.