The Long & Short of It: Kris Rice

IamMOOSE

961234997_KrisRice(October21st).jpg.620d15f949dc20c0dfc1780bea6ae4e9.jpg

On this week’s edition of The Long & Short of It, we take a look at Seattle Bears Center Kris Rice (@Ricer13) and his amazing season. Rice, drafted 11th overall in the season 69 draft to the Calgary Wranglers played four full seasons of hockey with the Wranglers, steadily increasing his production every season. In the front office, Rice took up an AGM position with the Yukon Rush before ascending to helm the newly expanded Miami Marauders as the General Manager. He’s been to the finals, both as a player and a manager but has had heartbreak on both fronts. For this season, a change of pace was needed, resulting in a trade out of Calgary to Seattle, the only team to have won 4 Continental Cups in a ten-season span (seriously, I checked, well fucking done Bana). Rice is approaching the final stretch in his career and hopes to capture the elusive cup that would cap off an amazing career.

Focusing on this season, Rice got off to a hot start, earning 9 points (2G, 7A) in his first five games as a Bear. It’s a run that never really parted Rice all season as he hit 101 points, including 44 goals to cap off career highs. It’s a massive leap from the 36 he amassed in 73 games during his rookie season. Over the course of five seasons in the VHL, Rice has increased his points per game production on average nearly 0.25 on average annually since joining the VHL. It’s a mark that very few in the league match and gives hope to some rookies who have sighted Rice as a player they’d like to emulate. It’s the first time Rice has hit the 100-point mark since season 69 where he racked up 137 points as a part of the VHLM’s Mississauga Hounds team that went to the Founder’s Cup finals against the eventual champions Saskatoon. Rice sits 7th in the scoring race and wasn’t able to climb passed Jeff Downey of Vancouver. But unlikely many of his peers, Rice is only matched by two other player in the race for game winners. At 10 GWGs on the season, Rice is tied for the lead with Moscow forward Mikko Lahtinen and Brock Louth of Vancouver, all are likely to get a few award considerations at the end of the season.

It should be mentioned that this is Rice’s first full season with a new build. Kris Rice rerolled is stats last season, hoping to become a more prolific scorer. Now sitting on the golden 99 SC & DF, Rice has put a 96 PH and 95 SK to work as this is likely the peak, or nearly that Rice will ever deliver. With such a high skill game, it’s not rocket science to see how the 6’1 185lbs Center has made such an impact in Seattle. It’s a top end build and reflects the scoring tone of the league. If you want a model to look at for a future player, this is it.

And finally, as always, we sat down with Kris Rice to discuss a few things such as his time in Calgary, what he needs for his legacy as a player, his process when building Miami, and possibly becoming Calgary’s GM one day:

Q: Obviously, a big change of scenery this year after a big offseason swap of yourself and Greene [along with the 1st for this season]. What did it mean for you to be moved from Calgary where you’d spent so much time and how did that move come about?

Rice: I actually requested the trade mid season last year. Calgary was struggling and I had dedicated a lot of blood sweat and tears to that organization to only have heart break every season. Made it to two finals and lost each time. Our season actually started turning around and we looked good going to the playoffs. I started to rethink my request but after losing out to the bears I felt it was time to move on to get my chance at that elusive championship.

Q: You’ve had three seasons now in Miami to get the team together. You’re on the fringe of making the playoffs for the third straight season in as many in years as a franchise. What’s been the secret to success in Miami?

Rice: Creating an atmosphere that players want to be in. We weren’t going to make the playoffs at the start of the season but waiver signings and trades were made because players want to be here and that has given us a real chance to possibly make the playoffs again.

Q: Is there a VHL team that if the GM job became available, we could see Rice in that front office?

Rice: Calgary would be my first choice every day. I was a huge part of that franchise for many seasons and it is still my home. It would be my dream to take over if Jubis ever retired but I would be happy just to get a chance at a VHL GM role of any team.

Q: Final question now; Assuming you’ll finish your career in Seattle and aside from the Continental Cup, what would put the defining stamp on the career of Kris Rice?

Rice: If I can’t win a Continental cup then the defining stamp isn’t a good one. It’ll be that of a player who came close so many times but could never get the job done. I have 2.5 season left to change that narrative and that starts with the Seattle Bears pushing for a title this season!