Claimed:Michael Clardy declares for the VHLM Draft [Final 6/6]

New Prospect Declares for the Draft

TDECU-press-conf-Jimmy-Moreland5.jpg?res

UH Athletic Director Mack Rhoades introduces Michael Clardy to the podium to announce his declaration for the VHLM draft

Michael Clardy, the American defender out of Houston, Texas, has decided to test his skating competency and college game in the major leagues, announcing today that he will send in his letter of intent to become a VHLM draft prospect. The native Memphian has been fiddling around with the recreational hockey leagues in Houston, Texas while studying as a full-time student at the University of Houston and has decided to forgo the college route in favor of a more fun and physical lifestyle in the hockey elites. He addressed the hockey media outside TDECU Stadium at the University of Houston to make his declaration.

594923.jpg

Michael Clardy makes his big splash into the league outside UH's football stadium in place of the non-existent hockey stadium in downtown Houston

"This is a great day for me, my family, the great city of Houston, and a lot of other folks! I know I want to represent my people well, representing the athletically gifted city of Houston in all areas of sport. This city already has some great world-renowned athletes and I want to translate that talent to the ice. I know I'm not native because of my Tennessee and Dallas background, but my time at UH and living in this city painting it red and seeing all the sites and sports has made me adopt this as my city, and I plan to represent us well in the VHLM." - Michael Clardy at his declaration press conference.

tyler-myers-nhl-buffalo-sabres-carolina-

Clardy looks on as his team, the Buffalo Soldiers, win another game in Toyota Center en route to an undefeated season.

A bigger size defender, Clardy has been a fanatic of hockey since he moved to Dallas when the NHL's Dallas Stars win the Stanley Cup. Since then, the young skater developed a skill for defensive playmaking, seeing the whole ice and making the right defensive judgement calls. This came partially from his time in football, as all Texan men play football at some time in their young age, where he would play on the defensive line and need to analyze the offensive schema and make the right play call from the line before the snap. This turned into a valuable asset for his recreational league hockey teams, where he can quarterback the defensive press and keep his teammates in line. This talent is sure to make a splash in the VHLM and become a perennial powerhouse for years to come.

A few scouts in the area have mentioned that Clardy, a 21 year old rookie, might be a disadvantage to teams due to his age and stature, but coaches around the UH area and other VHLM scouts have determined that the 6'2" 235 pound man has performed well against the other draftees he has faced, including his performance at the VHLM Training Camp day at the Toyota Center a few weeks ago. Clardy was able to prevent 9 of the 10 forwards he faced during drills from taking a shot on goal and the 1 forward that made it through the defensive mastermind was unable to score on the goalie. This sort of performance for an older player discounts the theory that age slows down performance. Expect Clardy to keep up with (and pass) his 17 and 18 year old counterparts in the Draft and beyond.

WC: 576 Words

Content: 3/3 - Word mark is fine. Good article as well.

Grammar: 2/2 - Just a couple of little things.

"when the NHL's Dallas Stars win the Stanley Cup" - won the Stanley Cup.

"play on the defensive line and need to analyze the offensive schema" - needed to analyze

Appearance: 1/1 - Article looks great.

Overall: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...