Claimed:Casper Salomon: Worth the Risk? [Final 6/6]

Wilson

Casper Salomon: Worth the Risk?

An Exclusive Interview with Jack Armsworthy

Jack Armsworthy:

Hello, folks. It’s your favorite hockey coach turned analyst here. This week I have a special treat for you. Today we have joining us a young star from the hockey hotbed of the Netherlands.

Casper Salomon has taken an interesting route before finding himself on the doorstep to the VHL. Let’s get to know him!

Casper, it’s great to have you here and we thank you. Can you outline for us your previous playing experience and how it may help you in the more competitive VHLM and VHL?

Casper Salomon:

Hi, Jack. It’s great to be here. Well I’ve played in a couple countries in my 17 years. I grew up playing in the Netherlands but just until I was 12 years old. I didn’t have a lot competition while playing there so there was no real challenge for me, which my father believed, would stunt my growth as a player.

After that the whole family picked up and moved to Sweden. We lived in Malmo for the next couple of years and I got to play in the top tier of the minor hockey league there. I still had a lot of success but it was good to be playing with players who were on a similar level as me. Even then though I was experiencing a lot of success and before you know it I was offered a full hockey scholarship from a prep school in Helsinki, Finland.

I went to Finland alone when I was 15 and my family moved back to Kessel, where I’m from in the Netherlands. I had a ton of fun playing there and we ended winning back to back national prep league titles which has definitely been my career highlight.

I think constantly moving up to newer and more challenging leagues is just part of the progression of being a great player and moving to the VHL is the next step I look forward to taking.

Jack Armsworthy:

Now your stats are certainly impressive, Casper. You’ve broken goal-scoring records in all of the leagues you’ve played in. However, some people have said you may be a bit selfish. How would you answer those critics?

Casper Salomon:

Well I mean to win games you have to score goals, that’s the way I look at it. If I’m on the ice and I think I’m the best option to score the goal, then I’m going to do that. If not, I’ll pass it. I think I’m a special player and to be honest I think I’m the best option to score the goal. So you can call it selfish but in my eyes I’m just doing what needs to be done to win games and championships. If you look at my past I’ve done a pretty good job of winning so.

Jack Armsworthy:

Hey fair enough, kids. I’m a big fan of the offensive game. I’ve seen some of your tape and you seem to play a high temp, high-energy type of game. How did you become this type of player?

Casper Salomon:

I’ve grown up as an athlete my whole life. My father played professional soccer back home so I’ve always grown up very competitive. I’ll do whatever it takes to win and sometimes that requires getting physical. That’s why I ended gravitating towards hockey over football. If you get physical in football, you get red carded, if you get physical in hockey, everyone cheers for you.

I like to get the boys going and if I can do that with a goal, great but if I have to do it by laying the body on someone, then I’ll do that too.

Jack Armsworthy:

There’s a line you must walk though, don’t you agree? In the past two years in the Finnish prep school league you were suspended twice for a total of six games. Can you hold your emotions in or is this going to keep haunting you?

Casper Salomon:

Yeah I’ve apologized for those incidents. I’m not really trying to reflect on those right now. It’s about moving forward and becoming a better person and hockey player. In the heat of the moment things happen but that was the past. I’m a more mature person now and I think that reflects in my play since then. I definitely do my best to control my emotions but I think as anyone who plays the game can tell you, it’s hard to always do that but I promise to make a conscious effort.

Jack Armsworthy:

Well, Casper it’s been a pleasure getting to know you more as a person and as a player. I wish you a long successful career and we’re all looking forward to seeing who snatches you up off the waiver wire. I’m sure it won’t take long!

Casper Salomon:

Thank you very much. It’s been a pleasure. I hope to be back soon talking about some of my VHLM successes!

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Wilson