Calgary riots escalating[Final 6/6]

bal-clap1-freddie-gray-riot-20150427.jpg

One fan's car was only a small portion of the casualties from Tuesday's riots in Calgary

CALGARY, AB - Fans in Calgary are simple. There's not much that would upset a fanbase that represents the defending Continental Cup champions, champions that have rallied behind slander and fans that have embraced the "second-liner" underdog motto all the way to the top. Most anyone that is anyone in Calgary is a fairly happy camper after the most recent season.

That is, until today.

Wranglers fans in #Clargary were awoken to the news, courtesy of VHL.com, that the Board of Governors do not have the option to select Marcus Hurley, captain of the Calgary Wranglers and leader in the fan polls, for the Grimm Jonsson, the league's top leader according to the B.O.G., the GMs, and, until recently, the fans. Once news got around that the captain of the defending Cup champion was taken off the final vote, despite leading the polls by 2 votes over his own teammate Tyler Cote and both were in a clear lead over other candidates, fans took to the streets and lined the Wranglers stadium downtown.

20110927-pixfordee-02.jpg?w=620

Fans battle with private security members lining the VHL office in Calgary, resulting in serious injuries

Austin Gow, the Wrangler's GM, responded to the fans with a small quote: "Hurley is our lord and savior. Whilst Lord O'Malley was hiding with the women and children, Marcus Hurley was leading. Sir Boychuk fought bravely, it is true, but when he was wounded, it was Marcus who saved us. He took charge of the Wall's defense, he killed the Magnar of the Thenns, he went North to deal with Fat Kesler. All knowing it will almost certainly mean his own death. Before this journey, he led the mission to avenge the Lord Commander Cal G. Mormont, who singlehandedly chose Marcus to be his steward. Mormont saw something in Marcus I see now."

r-VANCOUVER-POLICE-large570.jpg

Private security stood watch during Gow's speech, as all the fans listened intently to their benevolent general manager

The GM then announced his formal inquiry to change the name of the Grimm Jonsson Award to the Marcus Hurley Award, citing Hurley's impeccable demeanor at VHL events and his contributions in the Wranglers locker room. "This is one of the tragedies of the league's history and the people of Calgary deserve more," said Gow moments before his departure into the crowd, stripping his sport jacket and wingtips for a Clardy jersey and his Nike sneakers to protest with his fans. No word yet on whether other members of management have joined the riots, but defender Michael Clardy was seen lifting Gow on his shoulders through the crowd. Other players decided to join the riots in different ways, supporting Hurley's candidacy.

calgary11.jpg

Jaime Hill seen getting close to Wranglers fans during the riots, showing up to the stadium and being friendly with every Wranglers fan

There's already #HurleyGate trending on Twitter, public unrest in Calgary, and while no other unrest from the rest of the league is on the news, the Wranglers fanbase is looking to bring everyone together to bring back the significance of the fans. "I want my fans to have a voice," said Clardy during the few moments we had with him during the bulk of the public demonstrations. Most will agree that it's disturbing that fans were given a perception of the votes, and these riots should show management and the head office of the VHL that Hurley, nay, the fans, deserve the proper recognition.

I feel like there was a real missed opportunity to call this a Calgary Stampede.

If I were a grader, I'd dock at least 1/6

But... I included a promiscuous Jaime Hill. Net effect on grading should be 0 tbh.