Look back into the future

jRuutu

Master.jpg

Season 71 draft was a long time ago. The ''Post Draft S71 Class Live Ranking'' shows that around seven to fifteen users are still updating. The real question is, how did the S71 draftees handle the pressure of Gorlab's bust and lick ranking?  Is that the reason why only so few are left? After all, 48 players were drafted in S71.

To those of you who don't know, at least in the past, a member called ''Gorlab'' analyzed hours and hours of video material of each player. What the process was beyond that is anyone's guess. Anyways, based on the analysis he put together a ranking that for many players was too much to handle. I would be lying if I said that Gorlab's ranking did not affect me as a player. Some say that interviews before the draft with every team are nerve-wracking. If I'm completely honest, knowing that you are judged by the all seeing eye is worse.

Gorlab's prestigious scouting team gave a bust or lick title for a total of 12 Season 71 draftees. The ratings were given to the Top-12 picks in the draft soon after the actual draft was over.

1. Kyl Ofersson.  (Lick)
Looking back: 9th in TPE with 895. Career numbers tell a different story, 447 games, and 508 points! Despite falling down in the TPE ranking Ofersson has been scoring a lot every season, for that reason ''Lick'' is accurate in my eyes.

2. Roque Davis. (Lick)
Looking back: Davis is first in TPE. He has 1433 TPE, and he has scored 475 points in 447 games as a defender. Davis was known to be an elite-level offensive defender before he was drafted, and he has truly delivered. Lick is accurate without a doubt.

3. Ola Vikingstad (Lick)
Looking back:  Vikingstad is 6th in TPE with 1208. Career numbers are quite interestingly similar to Davis, 475 points in 447 games. Vikingstad scored 110 points last year, so he had his best year as an old man. Over point per game, lick status accurate.

4. Stone Wolski (Lick)
Looking back: Wolski is 5th in TPE with 1265, he is the first and only goalie on Gorlab's list. Wolski has played his whole career in D.C. 355 games, 175 wins, 91.7 save percentage average, and 19 shutouts. Elite goalie in VHL still and lick for sure.

5. Thomas Landry II (Bust)
Looking back: The first bust! Or is it? No. Landry II is a lick. Second in TPE with 1351, Thomas has 442 points in 447 games, and 1476 hits on top of it. Landry II in his absolute prime was among the best power forwards in the league, over a point per game seasons and 300+ hits, a beast.

6. Jim Bob (Lick)
Looking back: Bob is 4th in TPE. Similar player to Landry II, the only difference is Bob is more of a passer. 368 points in 447 games, 1651 hits. When comparing the TPE total to points, you can ask whether lick is accurate? Almost the opposite case to Ofersson here, but TPE total saves Bob, lick is accurate.

7. Hugh Jass (Bust)
Looking back: What on earth happened to Jass? A free agent at the moment! Still 10th in TPE with 811. Jass has 343 points in 432 games, top-level puck-moving defender in his prime, he had 87 points in S74. Even last year he had 48 points in 72 games. Bust was the verdict back then, but 800+ TPE and 300+ points as a defender make me think a lick, I'll say lick.

8. Joe Proto (Lick)
Looking back: Perhaps the saddest story so far, a lot of potential, without a team now. Proto is ranked 20th in TPE, he has 482. Proto has played in a total of 338 games in VHL, 72 goals and 148 points. Not terrible, but as mentioned hopes were high and lick status was given. In the end, bust is the only choice.

9. Uhtred (Lick)
Looking back: 7th in TPE with 1060.  Uhtred is a great player, he has even reached the magical ''100 points in one season'' - milestone. Career totals look nice, 464 points in 447 games, two goals away from reaching 200 goals!  I think Uhtred is a lick for sure.

10. Pengu (Bust)
Looking back: 16th in TPE, Pengu has 630. Pengu has played 360 games in VHL, 262 points in those are not bad, but the length of Pengu's career makes me think that bust is accurate. Jass above is quite similar, but Jass played longer and had a higher TPE total. Bust is accurate for Pengu.

11. Erik Killinger (Lick)
Looking back: Third in TPE with 1331. Killinger has played 447 games with 456 points, so over a point per game! Worth pointing out that Killinger is also known for his physicality, over 1200 hits during his career, so Erik is a guaranteed lick!

12. Zyrok12 (Bust)
Looking back: 21st in TPE with 450. Proto of the defenders? High potential, but it was not meant to be. Zyrok played 360 games and scored 189 points as a defender. During S75 Zyrok scored solid 20 goals, which was the same number he had in the last three seasons together! Career longevity suggests that bust status is accurate and I have to agree, bust is accurate.

What did we learn?
1. 9 out of 12 were correct, that is impressive. As mentioned, we can only speculate what the process is when Gorlab and his team starts figuring out who is a bust or lick, but with that kind of odds - it's worth it.
2. There were a few close calls in my opinion, for example, is Jass a bust? Someone could say the same about my player since I have so much TPE, but offensive totals are a bit so so.
3. 8 players from S71 class have reached 1000 TPE. 7 were mentioned above, who is missing? Ray Sheilds at 13th overall.
4. Vikingstad and Ofersson the only players right now to score 200 or more goals.
5. Wolski is the only goalie to reach 1000 TPE, McPine has 735, and Bruden 680.

That is all for now. I will claim this for few weeks. (1040)

29.3 - 4.4

5.4 - 11.4

11 hours ago, Xflexz said:

I loved this. Please continue doing these. 10/10 If you dont keep doing it i will hunt you down ❤️

Thanks :P I might do similar look for other draft years, but feel free to use this idea yourself! You can find all the stats from the portal and Gorlab´s bust/lick ranking from the forum. (Gorlab´s profile, see their activity, ''topics'' on the left side, and just browse through few pages)

18 hours ago, jRuutu said:

Master.jpg

Season 71 draft was a long time ago. The ''Post Draft S71 Class Live Ranking'' shows that around seven to fifteen users are still updating. The real question is, how did the S71 draftees handle the pressure of Gorlab's bust and lick ranking?  Is that the reason why only so few are left? After all, 48 players were drafted in S71.

To those of you who don't know, at least in the past, a member called ''Gorlab'' analyzed hours and hours of video material of each player. What the process was beyond that is anyone's guess. Anyways, based on the analysis he put together a ranking that for many players was too much to handle. I would be lying if I said that Gorlab's ranking did not affect me as a player. Some say that interviews before the draft with every team are nerve-wracking. If I'm completely honest, knowing that you are judged by the all seeing eye is worse.

Gorlab's prestigious scouting team gave a bust or lick title for a total of 12 Season 71 draftees. The ratings were given to the Top-12 picks in the draft soon after the actual draft was over.

1. Kyl Ofersson.  (Lick)
Looking back: 9th in TPE with 895. Career numbers tell a different story, 447 games, and 508 points! Despite falling down in the TPE ranking Ofersson has been scoring a lot every season, for that reason ''Lick'' is accurate in my eyes.

2. Roque Davis. (Lick)
Looking back: Davis is first in TPE. He has 1433 TPE, and he has scored 475 points in 447 games as a defender. Davis was known to be an elite-level offensive defender before he was drafted, and he has truly delivered. Lick is accurate without a doubt.

3. Ola Vikingstad (Lick)
Looking back:  Vikingstad is 6th in TPE with 1208. Career numbers are quite interestingly similar to Davis, 475 points in 447 games. Vikingstad scored 110 points last year, so he had his best year as an old man. Over point per game, lick status accurate.

4. Stone Wolski (Lick)
Looking back: Wolski is 5th in TPE with 1265, he is the first and only goalie on Gorlab's list. Wolski has played his whole career in D.C. 355 games, 175 wins, 91.7 save percentage average, and 19 shutouts. Elite goalie in VHL still and lick for sure.

5. Thomas Landry II (Bust)
Looking back: The first bust! Or is it? No. Landry II is a lick. Second in TPE with 1351, Thomas has 442 points in 447 games, and 1476 hits on top of it. Landry II in his absolute prime was among the best power forwards in the league, over a point per game seasons and 300+ hits, a beast.

6. Jim Bob (Lick)
Looking back: Bob is 4th in TPE. Similar player to Landry II, the only difference is Bob is more of a passer. 368 points in 447 games, 1651 hits. When comparing the TPE total to points, you can ask whether lick is accurate? Almost the opposite case to Ofersson here, but TPE total saves Bob, lick is accurate.

7. Hugh Jass (Bust)
Looking back: What on earth happened to Jass? A free agent at the moment! Still 10th in TPE with 811. Jass has 343 points in 432 games, top-level puck-moving defender in his prime, he had 87 points in S74. Even last year he had 48 points in 72 games. Bust was the verdict back then, but 800+ TPE and 300+ points as a defender make me think a lick, I'll say lick.

8. Joe Proto (Lick)
Looking back: Perhaps the saddest story so far, a lot of potential, without a team now. Proto is ranked 20th in TPE, he has 482. Proto has played in a total of 338 games in VHL, 72 goals and 148 points. Not terrible, but as mentioned hopes were high and lick status was given. In the end, bust is the only choice.

9. Uhtred (Lick)
Looking back: 7th in TPE with 1060.  Uhtred is a great player, he has even reached the magical ''100 points in one season'' - milestone. Career totals look nice, 464 points in 447 games, two goals away from reaching 200 goals!  I think Uhtred is a lick for sure.

10. Pengu (Bust)
Looking back: 16th in TPE, Pengu has 630. Pengu has played 360 games in VHL, 262 points in those are not bad, but the length of Pengu's career makes me think that bust is accurate. Jass above is quite similar, but Jass played longer and had a higher TPE total. Bust is accurate for Pengu.

11. Erik Killinger (Lick)
Looking back: Third in TPE with 1331. Killinger has played 447 games with 456 points, so over a point per game! Worth pointing out that Killinger is also known for his physicality, over 1200 hits during his career, so Erik is a guaranteed lick!

12. Zyrok12 (Bust)
Looking back: 21st in TPE with 450. Proto of the defenders? High potential, but it was not meant to be. Zyrok played 360 games and scored 189 points as a defender. During S75 Zyrok scored solid 20 goals, which was the same number he had in the last three seasons together! Career longevity suggests that bust status is accurate and I have to agree, bust is accurate.

What did we learn?
1. 9 out of 12 were correct, that is impressive. As mentioned, we can only speculate what the process is when Gorlab and his team starts figuring out who is a bust or lick, but with that kind of odds - it's worth it.
2. There were a few close calls in my opinion, for example, is Jass a bust? Someone could say the same about my player since I have so much TPE, but offensive totals are a bit so so.
3. 8 players from S71 class have reached 1000 TPE. 7 were mentioned above, who is missing? Ray Sheilds at 13th overall.
4. Vikingstad and Ofersson the only players right now to score 200 or more goals.
5. Wolski is the only goalie to reach 1000 TPE, McPine has 735, and Bruden 680.

That is all for now. I will claim this for few weeks. (1040)

29.3 - 4.4

5.4 - 11.4

First time reading a post draft lick or bust from before and looking forward for more media spots like this.  Well written and formatted and no apparent grammar mistakes 9.5/10