Rush Person

JB123

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 6:40 PM, JB123 said:

I called it "Logo Update" but wasn't a logo once I got started. 

Rush Logo Update.jpg

I'm going to review your graphic here. Despite being the god of VHL graphics, I have no official power to approve/deny graphic PTs.

From one perspective, this graphic is absolutely awful. It's a very low resolution hockey rink picture, with a weird silhouette of a man, a video game axe, two cowboy boots, and what looks like a miner's helmet, pasted on top of the rink. The perspective makes no sense, and there's no techniques used to make it seem like that.... monstrosity.... is actually on the ice doing something.  Many people would reject this quality of graphic, because there is no quality whatsoever. The best thing I can say from a technical perspective is that you pasted the miner's helmet / axe / cowboy boots in a way that sort of makes it look like that black silhouette is wearing them. This type of execution could be commended if the artist was between the ages of 5-7. Otherwise, it's very rudimentary and basic. 

From my personal perspective, despite how horrible this graphic is on a technical level, the absolute absurdity of it is very interesting. I find myself wondering what kind of person decides to make a graphic for a sim league, and ends up with this as the result. Are you submitting this with the delusion that it's somehow nice/good? Are you submitting this knowing it's laughable and as a troll/meme? The existence of this graphic brings up so many internal questions, and at the end of the day, is the aim/goal of art NOT to provoke thoughts and questions from the observer? This is the dilemma that exists with sim league graphics and allows for so much interpretation.

So, despite someone else considering this graphic to be low-effort / not approved, I take the opposite stance, but will warn you that strange/odd low-effort graphics only will go so far and that eventually people will deny you the tpe associated with the graphic. 

2/10

Review

I consider myself on the other side of the spectrum as gorlab. To be honest, I think this graphic is way ahead of its time deserves the full TPE credit that it applies for. The low resolution of the background provides  depth to the graphic and brings out the render. It's not very often that someone spends 90% of their sig time on the render, so its nice to see that for a change, and by god it's beautiful. 

I get it. the Yukon Rush are based off mining and you made sure that this player was themed as a miner (or is it a mascot?). Either way, if I'm skating down the ice and I see this mother fucker between me and the net, I'm dumping the puck in and changing for the following reasons:

1. He's one solid color. I have no idea where he's looking or what he's about to do. Is he mad? Does he want to kill me? How strong is this black silhouette? I know how strong Mr. Game & Watch can be on Smash and I can tell you right now I would not want to fuck with him. 

2. He's holding a giant golden axe. I mean look at it, it's half the size of him. If he is indeed angry, one swing and I'm dead. He's obviously not going to play the puck here as it would be more effective to just chop my knee caps off. Sure, it's a game misconduct if that happens, but now I have half a leg. 

3. The cowboy boots. Not only is this guy about to kill me on the ice, he's got me at the drip game too. 

All in all, I expect this graphic to end up in the VHL Louvre, and if I was on the Yukon Rush, I would have that in my sig ASAP. 10.5/10.