Review of the first three weeks I have been in the VHL

AJW

Review of the first three weeks I have been in the VHL.

Three weeks have gone by since I first joined the VHL and it has been a pretty good time I must say. Everything has been rolling smoothly so I thought why not give a recap on my time here so far. A lot of people reading this are probably veterans to this forum so it might be nice to hear about a fresh start from a new player.

Joining the League

I joined the VHL after watching a YouTube ad and thought it looked interesting. It was also probably 3 in the morning and I was wide awake and bored. I created my player and made him 215 pounds at 5’10 thinking I made him 6’3, a great first start already. Then I added my TPE to attributes I thought would be helpful, not knowing that there are main attributes to target. I noticed I had a couple offers from GMs the next day I woke up. All of them said 3rd line minutes so it was basically just ‘pick which team looks cooler’. I picked Ottawa since I live the closest to there than any other teams and the logo looked nice. Later that day I signed with Ottawa and my career was off, starting in the VHLM at 54 base TPE and not knowing anything about the league.

Week 1 - My Experience

I’m pretty happy I chose the Ottawa Lynx as my starter team because I got an unreal GM in dlamb. He was really good at helping out and answering my questions. I found myself quickly learning what TPE was and every way possible to make it. Not knowing this right when I made my player, I clicked welfare thinking that the welfare and practice facility were my only options to upgrade my player. Also after learning that 250 TPE means you move onto the VHL, I did not feel too bad about clicking welfare because I figured I would just sit the VHLM forever and run the league. That thought changed quickly when I started to do articles, graphics, press conferences, etc. I gained an addiction to gaining TPE. In my first week I made 27 TPE from eight different tasks. Then I kind of put it through my brain that there’s more to life than the VHLM, upgrade and move onto the VHL. I was now determined to gain as much TPE as possible and my eyes were glued to the discord and forum for this whole first week. I even started prepping my Point Tasks for the next week in advance. 

Something I loved: I had something new and exciting that I liked and could keep me busy through Ontario’s shutdown order.

Something I disliked: I had so much to learn. I wish I just knew everything already and could make a titan of a player.

Week 1 - My Player’s Experience

My player, AJ Williams, after signing to waivers with the Ottawa Lynx was thrown into his first game right away. My player was around 60 TPE and bottom of the team for skill. So the goal wasn’t to score a million goals in the first game. He got 4 points in 9 games which honestly isn’t that bad for basically a base player. By the end of the week he was an 81 TPE overall and starting to fit in more with the S79 recruiting class. Also, even though he had been on the team for like 3 days, the team picked him to be assistant captain which is pretty sweet.

Week 2 - My Experience

Week 2 was basically the same as Week 1 except I knew a little bit more on what to do. I had already typed up a Point Task on my first week in the VHLM from my player’s perspective. With 1000+ words I was set for the next two weeks for point tasks, no more welfare. I was still addicted to the grind and did a bunch of smaller tasks to max out my capped TPE as fast as possible. I even did some uncapped claims and bought a doubles week from the store with my contract money. At the end of the week I had reached 100 total TPE and got my first gen bonus, leaving week 2 with a whopping 31 TPE gained. I was pretty pumped that I got more than 30, and I was the leader for that week out of the whole league so I felt proud of myself for doing all those tasks. I was happy with where I was at and the potential my player had for growing. I was gaining upgrades really fast but I wanted more. I’m pretty sure I finished all my tasks by Tuesday that week and ended up searching for more ways to earn but nothing extra I could do. All in all it was a good week of hard work and learning.

Something I loved: I was connecting with the community more, meeting new people and learning lots from them and my team. Felt very welcomed by everyone.

Something I disliked: That capped TPE is a thing. Honestly I probably could have made 20 different Point Tasks, I was so determined. Now (week 4 of my career), I like that there is capped TPE because I would probably burn myself out quickly and not want to do any more tasks.

Week 2 - My Player’s Experience

After all of the upgrades I felt as if my player was fitting in more nicely. Getting up to triple digits for TPE was a relief, I did not think my player was bottom tier anymore. I do not know exactly how many points my player got but it was more than 0.5 points/game which was surprising to me. I was expecting to get 0.5 ppg all year. I guess my work on my tasks and upgrades to my players paid off.

Week 3 - My Experience

Boooooooring. I felt like I had nothing to do. I had a week of  Point Task carryover, I did a vhl.com graphic for the Ottawa Lynx captains, and I had trivia TPE, ALL done from the week before… 10/12 capped claims done and the week just started. I then clicked on practice training, did two reviews on people’s graphics, and then was stumped. It was Monday and I had no idea what I should do for the rest of the week. Once Fantasy came out in the VHLM and VHL I did those, and Trivia came out so I did that. I’m now absolutely lost, I did not know what to do with my time. The VHL was supposed to keep me busy through this shutdown so I wouldn’t be bored 24/7. But then I thought maybe this is a good thing, maybe a week off of an addiction is a good thing. Wrong, it’s Wednesday of Week 3 at the time I’m writing this paragraph and I’m already doing this point task for next week… which will probably have carryover for another week after that. Funny how this system works. I will say though, the break took me away from the VHL and I went outside more since I was bored which is probably for the better.

Something that I loved: Nothing, this week sucked, but the Jets won so that’s something.

Something that I disliked: Everything, I was bored out of my mind not knowing what to do with myself. 

Week 3 - My Player’s Experience

Although my VHL experience through week 3 was not good, my player’s were. First of all, after two weeks he had already climbed into the top twelve of the S79 VHL recruitment class rankings. I thought it would take longer but maybe my player’s just ‘built different’. The weekly TPE gained was at an all time low - 14. This is no shock, all the uncapped and career tasks had been done already. But it would be nice to see it in the twenties every week, do not know if that is possible though.

Conclusion

The first three weeks had it’s glory moments but also tough times. I am really happy to be part of this community and hope to stay for a while. Thanks for reading if you did, hopefully you enjoyed it. #DRAFTHYPE

(1395 words, Using PT for weeks June 20, June 27)

Edited by ajwllmsn

Review: Great article AJ, I like how you formatted this like a journal, week-by-week. Adding likes and dislikes for each week was cool. Only suggestion is a picture (just basic). Overall awesome read. Heck of a player and many teams should have their eye on you 9/10