Hlozek in the hunt for VHL rookie scoring title

Bojovnik

Riga Reign defenseman Jan Hlozek’s fine run of form over the past week has seen the Czech blueliner catch up in the race for the VHL’s rookie scoring title.

The eighth overall pick in the S77 VHL Entry Draft has racked up several multiple point games over the past seven days, including a three point performance in Riga’s 6-2 win over London United on Wednesday, to keep him hot on the heels of current top scorer Hard Markinson.

“It’s nice to be finally having some good performances. Each year I played in the VHLM, I always started slow but then got better as the season goes on. I’m hopeful that will continue and I can help us get into the playoffs,” Hlozek told reporters after the Reign dropped a pair of games against the first-placed Seattle Bears.

The Reign currently sit in seventh place in the European Conference, six points out of a spot in the play-in round.

The Latvian side’s form has improved, with the club recently putting together a string of five wins in a row together, and Hlozek, who sits five points back from Markinson having registered 40 points in 58 games, said that he wouldn’t get distracted by any discussions of his potential nomination for the top rookie award this season.

“That can wait. I’m not interested in personal awards. I just want to get into the playoffs,” he stated.  

Edited by Bojovnik