The EU, expectations vs reality

Telkster

Intro

This media spot will be a somewhat brief look at every teams season in the EU. Last year saw many teams finish in wild places compared to what expectations were. There was a fair amount of parody in the league again this year. Did your team do better, worse, or meet expectations this year? Stay tuned as we go down the list. These are not where the teams finished in the standings, but rather the current standings. 

1. Moscow

Last year Moscow had another finish near the basement of the standings as their rebuild was still in its process. They broke out this year as many people expected them to. It was hard to say where they would finish with Malmo not looking any worse, as well as a couple other teams looking to be in the mix on paper. 

2. Malmo

The Nighthawks had another successful year which will likely see them finish 2nd in the conference. The management team knew that many teams around them were changing as Malmo stayed relatively the same over the off-season, but the expectations were met with a solid season that saw them having a bit more struggles this year. Nonetheless they are still contenders in many peoples eyes.

3. HC Davos

This was another team that had top 3 potential at the start of the year. Of course, there we’re probably 4-5 teams with top 3 potential, and HC managed to hold onto 3rd for now with just a few games to go. 

I would say you couldn’t expect much better out of your team, especially with Malmo and Moscow in the mix. 

4. Warsaw

They were seen as a probable playoff team with a chance to miss the play in round, but they currently hold the playoff play in spot at 4th in the EU. Despite doing some selling around the TDL, Warsaw still holds their own as they hope to make it to the EU semi finals.

5. Prague

They would’ve been a team that I would have predicted to be right on the cusp of playoffs or not, and they find themselves on the cusp right now. I saw them as a lower tier but still competitive team with a couple all stars and decent depth in some areas, but their roster just didn’t quite match many others that I saw this season. 

6. Riga

Here’s where the parity comes into play. Besides Riga’s goalie troubles this year, you could’ve argued they had the best offensive defence player combo at the start of the year. But the goalie spot was holding them down too much. Riga got a goalie at some point during the season, but it didn’t change there direction at all. I gotta feel bad for the long haulers at Riga. I think no one can argue at this point that Riga should’ve been a contender for years now with that lineup. 

7. London 

United had a solid season despite what their place tells you. They were bottom 2 at the start in my eyes, but they put up a good fight all season as they maintained a close to .500 record. A year or 2 more of growth and they should eventually crawl out of the bottom.

8. Helsinki

Their season was rough from the get go, and Helsinki needs a lot of work before they begin to work their way to the top. Not only is their roster aging, but their forwards are right in that middling age where they will soon hit depreciation before they can even begin to turn it around. Sure they have some rookies, but no real stand outs right now, hopefully they can get back on the right track as time goes on. 

Edited by Telkster

3 hours ago, Telkster said:

6. Riga

Here’s where the parody comes into play

What a great typo. Parity means things are very equal; parody means things are a joke. With Riga’s luck this season, watching their progress has been a parody of a typical hockey season. Poor Reign. 

31 minutes ago, bigAL said:

What a great typo. Parity means things are very equal; parody means things are a joke. With Riga’s luck this season, watching their progress has been a parody of a typical hockey season. Poor Reign. 

Maybe he meant Parrot. 

2 hours ago, bigAL said:

Hahaha oooops I’ll fix that, yeah I do feel bad for them!

11 hours ago, bigAL said:

It's not a typo, it's a homophone. Two words with the same pronunciation but mean different things.

I like your idea for your media spot, very in depth analysis of how each team is performing so far in comparison to how we all thought they would. The biggest surprise for me is Riga, though I guess that's what happens when you don't really have a goalie. You wrote a pretty good article in terms of spelling. The confusion between parity and parody was a grammar error but it was also funny so 10/10.