Muy Importante pregunta

nurx

I'd say I maybe 70% know Spanish; decent general understanding of it but speaking and knowing it perfectly is on a whole other level and I've kind of hit a wall with it. So that's my #1.

#2 would probably be Mandarin, for a few reasons...

• Some linguistic concepts I find really interesting that we just don't have in English. I'd love to be able to understand the writing system, as well as the whole tonality aspect to it (saying the same thing at different pitches can give it entirely different meanings).
  • It's one of the hardest languages to learn for a native speaker of English.
  • A lot of students and professors at my school are from China, and I've always felt that there's a huge culture barrier that tends to isolate international students and gives some profs an unwarranted bad reputation (my advisor is from China and has some of the worst RateMyProfessor ratings I've ever seen, with a lot just complaining about his accent, even though I have a much more positive connection with him than most others). It could be a great way to make some friends that I might not be able to make as easily otherwise.
  • Just in general, there's a HUGE number of speakers worldwide (it's like another English!) and would be one of the most helpful to learn for business and everyday interactions.