Analysis of VHLW South Team Names Part 2: Australia Continued

Will3

Hopping around with a mob of kangaroos in the Outback was fun. But it's time for me to snap back to reality so I can present my fantasy teams to you. Today two other Australian cities shall be given VHLW franchises. Let's see who they are and what they are called.

In the southwest corner of Australia lies the city of Perth. Originally founded in 1829, it was named after the founder's patron's hometown. Today,the capital and largest city of the state of Western Australia has a population of 2.1 million inhabitants, making it Australia's fourth most populous city. It is the the headquarters for large mining operations, tech startups, and a AIHL team, the Perth Thunder. In a playful reference to this team, I created the Perth Power. I imagine the the Power to use a lightning bolt similar to the Thunder. Is it copyright infringement if two teams from the same city in the sport have the same object in there logos even if the logos looks different? I can't say for sure, but there are other references to Perth itself in the Power name. In 1962, Perth received global media attention when city residents lit their house lights and streetlights as astronaut John Glenn passed overhead while orbiting Earth on Friendship 7. This act would be repeated when Glenn passed overhead on the Space Shuttle in  1998. These actions led to Perth being nicknamed the "City of Light" and it is this nickname that I would reference in Power's color scheme. Neon Blue, Neon Yellow and White to hint at light. Aside from some copyright questions, this is a good idea for a potential hockey club.

The Perth Thunder Logo

The city of Canberra is a bit unusual in terms of cities form multiple reasons. After a 12 year dispute between Melbourne and Sidney over which city would be the capital of Australia,the city of Canberra would be entirely designed (no other city in Australia is entirely planned) to be a compromise capital city.The city is located in New South Wales at the northern tip of the Australian Alps, the country's highest mountain range. Australia's largest inland city and the eighth-largest city overal has an estimated population of 431,380 people,which is kinda small for a sports market but Winnipeg has just about 300,000 more inhabitants. In spite of its relatively small size, Canberra is home to many sports teams including the CBR Brave, an AIHL team originally founded as the Canberra Knights in 2000. My traveling companion, Morcar80, came up with this team name. He would introduce the Canberra Cavaliers to the VHLW. And before you ask, yes this name just clears and copyright issues as the baseball team is called the Canberra Cavalry. If you remember you English history class, cavaliers were associated with cavalry and Prince Rupert, the commander of much of Charles I's cavalry, is often considered to be an archetypal Cavalier. Thankfully the baseball team used to be called the Colts so I don't there is any lawsuit issues. More information about Cavaliers is that the name was originally an insult addresed to walthier royalist supporters of King Charles I and his son Charles II of England during the English Civil War that was accepted by those being insulted. This is similar to how Yankee became to be identified with Americans in the American Revolution. Cavaliers' use as referring to a political party ended in the Exclusion Crisis of 1678–1681 when the term was superseded by "Tory." While there is no history of cavaliers in Australia, the stereotypical image of the Cavaliers has had an impact on Great Britain's colonies The name works especially in a capital city. 

That is our adventure for today. We had to tipto through the minefield that is copyright law to find some some interesting places and interesting team name to go with them. I have a supplemental article planned for one more Australia city. By next week, Me and my friend should be in New Zealand, which is going to be so cool. Meet you all then.  We are going to climb these Australian Alps.

Very nice article once again. You can tell you put a lot of research into it. As someone who has put in a few articles of Australian VHL teams it's nice to see someone else do it. 

Have a Google of Port Adelaide power. It's an Australian Rules Football team and seems similar to your idea for Perth. 

Interested to see your next article and looking into the kiwis teams.

Great article 9/10