Obi's First Taste of the VHLM

atw2592

Obi Adesanya's first week in the VHL is in the books, ending the first week with 5 goals and no assists while alternating between the third and fourth lines. His playing time in the first 4 games was very minimal, recording just under 8 minutes per game and not having the opportunity to get up many shots as the veterans on the top lines. This was to be expected, as Obi still needs to get used to the pace of the professional league since this is his first taste of real pro hockey. Obi clearly looked over matched at the beginning of the week, but he began to find his footing in game 5, when Obi scored his first career goal en route to a 5-2 Bulls win against Saskatoon. This was his first game on the third line and playing more than 10 minutes in a game, and he really started to hit his groove in the second period. Obi carried this great play over to the next game against Mexico City, where Obi scored again in the second period, helping the Bulls to another victory. Obi's best game of the year so far came in the next game against the San Diego Marlins where Adesanya recorded his first career two goal game en route to a 4-3 Bulls victory, with his second goal in the third period being the game winner, his first career game winning goal. In this game Obi really started to show why the Bulls drafted him, as he imposed his will on the offensive and defensive end with 4 shots on goal to go along with 3 hits. Obi would keep his points streak going in game 36 against the Mexico City Kings with another third period goal, scoring the sixth and final goal of the game in a 6-4 victory, giving the Bulls an insurance goal late in the game. Houston has really hit their stride as a team, recording 16 points so far, good for second place in the Western Conference, right behind Las Vegas, who has been nearly unbeatable this season with only one loss in regulation so far. We caught up with Obi to chat about his start to his career in Houston, as well as the play of the Bulls through one week of play.

"The first few games were really a challenge for me physically" said Adesanya. "I didn't realize how big and strong these guys were. They are only a few years older than me and the difference is immense already. After that first initial shock, I started to find my footing. Once I got into the groove of the games, I could tell I was playing a lot better and thinking a lot less out there. Credit goes to Ayomide Ayodele and Charlie for helping me through the growing pains at first. They really made me feel at home. I thought we had a slow start to the season as a whole, but with so many new players I think we all expected that. Now that we have a few games together under our belt, I think we are really going to start to click."

You did a great job with the description of the games and you can really see the character that Obi has. The interview at the end is a nice touch and add some character development. I'm interested to see where Obi career go. Its a nice format, I don't have any suggestion, because I feel like you did a great job. 9/10 

Review: 9/10

Congrats on the return and the successful first week! Pretty straightforward article here, going over the stats and a quote from the player. Straightforward doesn't mean boring though, and I think it read well like a cohesive narrative reporting from the games rather than just reciting stats. It sets up future check ins to see how things have changed as well. My small nitpick with this one would probably be presentation - a picture or headline would be nice to make it look a bit more like a real article, and I'm personally more a fan of italics used for a purpose (like just the quote) than for the whole article. But that's small stuff, overall a great piece and a good read. Excited to see you around again!

very well said, it is good to see your player doing so well so early on, its a good sign. I liked the inclusion of the stats in your article, it made the understanding of your success much greater. You could potentially paragraph around the games to break up the text, but that's just being nitpicky. I really enjoyed the text and cant wait for more! 9/10