LOSPENOV PARTNERS WITH HOUSTON-BASED FAMILY TO FAMILY NETWORK

HOUSTON, TX: Houston Bulls forward Mikhail Lospenov has been turning heads on the ice this season with his red-hot start to the VHLM campaign, but it is his off-ice actions that are bringing him to the front pages.

For outsiders to the Houston area, the sight of the name Lospenov on the front page of the news can cause for alarm, especially with the previous implications that name has held in the VHLM. Vanek Lospenov, Mikhail’s older brother, was notorious for finding himself on the news for the wrong reason.

Mikhail, in his second season in the VHLM and first with Houston, has garnered the attention of the local media for a much different reason; his charitable work.

Since his arrival in Houston via a trade from the Mississauga Hounds on November 17, Lospenov has been spending his free time assisting with non-profit organizations through community initiatives.

Most recently, Lospenov partnered with the Houston-based Family to Family Network to create more avenues for providing necessary care to members of the organization’s programs.

Family to Family Network, which provides “invaluable resources to children and adults with special needs” in the Houston area, initially received a handful of community service hours from the 18-year-old Lospenov, but has now received an even greater gift from the Bulls forward.

On Monday, the organization announced that Mikhail Lospenov had become a “principle partner” of the Family to Family Network. The announcement came as Lospenov donated two million dollars to the program in order to cover the salaries and costs associated with hiring two additional case management and outreach positions within the non-profit.

“Where I grew up, there are very few resources for those with special needs,” said Lospenov, a native of Penza, Russia. “It was disheartening to see children with disabilities being neglected and overlooked, and I couldn’t let this opportunity go by without stepping up. When you are given a chance to have money and some influence, the least you can do is help someone in need.”

When the board of Family to Family Network approached Lospenov about ways of commemorating his contributions to the organization, Lospenov refused, citing that the deed was not an excessive effort, but rather a necessary one.

“This isn’t something that I want to be held on a pedestal for,” Lospenov explained. “This is my good deed, my way of giving back to the community that has welcomed me in with open arms. Houston is my home, now, and I want to see everyone being able to enjoy this city and this life to the fullest potential. That is why I did what I did and not for the accolades.”

Early Tuesday morning, the Bulls joined Lospenov in his efforts to support the program, and pledged to match Mikhail’s donation and subsequently donate funds from an undetermined promotional night to the efforts of the Family to Family Network.

“Seeing my team, and this organization rally behind this cause and help contribute to the success of these children is heartwarming,” said Lospenov. “This organization is so much more than just a hockey team; It’s part of the community.”

Lospenov and the Bulls are currently in second place in the Western Conference standings with 16 points from an 8-4-0 record.

9/10

Great article. easy to read and it is a fun read. Grammar is done well and the layout is nice. For future media spots, try to add some photos or something to make it stick out more. I really like when people give their characters some life and it is good to see Lospenov become a fan favourite in Houston like I am sure he will be in Stockholm. Keep up the good work and good luck this season!

REVIEW: A nice article about something you'd hear an actual professional athlete doing. It's a nice change of pace and honestly, I'm surprised I don't see more similar articles about charity work. Presentation is good enough - maybe some people would like to see a picture or formatting or something, but to me, it looks good. Would be nice to see this turn into a storyline about the actual work being done.

8/10