Analysis of VHLW South Team Names Part 4: Islands

Will3

I have enjoyed so much of Aisa and Oceania. Each location I have visited have been filled with interesting history and mythology that that not only makes names for hockey teams, they have made me much more knowledgeable about the world around me. It has been wonderful, but it is almost over. All that remains are the islands between Aisa and Oceania. Two worthy locations remain, so let's see what have discovered.

One of the main location in South East Aisa is the island city-state of Singapore. It has second greatest population density in the world with 5,453,600 "Singaporean" within 728.6 km squared or 281.3 sq mi. Modern Singapore was founded in 1819 by Sir Stamford Raffles as a trading post. During the Second World War, Singapore was occupied by Japan for three years before being returned to British control after the end of the war. Singapore gained self-governance in 1959 then in became part of the new federation of Malaysia, alongside Malaya, North Borneo, and Sarawak 1963. Singapore was expelled from the federation two years later and became an independent nation. Today, Singapore had one of the strongest economies in Asia and is placed highly in key social indicators. To add ice hockey to this wonderful place, the VHLW South would add the Singapore Sea Dogs. The Sea Dogs were English privateers authorised by Queen Elizabeth I to raid England's enemies, primarily  Spanish targets, both on land and on sea in the New World. The Sea Dogs included multiple now famous sailors including Sir Francis Drake, Sir John Hawkins, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Sir Richard Hawkins. Speaking of theft on the water, the 18th and 19th centuries saw an increase of piracy in the Strait of Malacca, spurred in part by the economic imperative to control the lucrative spice trade with European colonisers. With the strait being close to Singapore, the Sea Dog name works as a deep reference to pirates.

Lying on the northwest coast of Java, Jakarta is one of the most important cities in Aisa. It is the largest city in Southeast Aisa and the capital of Indonesia. and the second-largest urban area in the world, with a current population of 33,718,269 "Jakartans".  It would be know as the Dutch colony city Batavia from 1619 to independence in 1949. Today, Jakarta is a wealthy city that pulls in  people from all Indonesia. It is a melting pot of numerous cultures, with a nickname, the Big Durian,  that reference another famous melting pot city. To add ice hockey to the mix, I would create the Jakarta Garuda. The Garuda is a legendary bird or bird-like creature in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain faith. The various regions described the Garuda differently, with even descriptions the creature being very different. The Garuda is also used all over the world, even in the US. Navy. If we are going to use the Garuda in Indonesia, we should start with the Garuda Pancasila, a national symbol. The Garuda dose come up in many places in Indonesia and as a team name, I feel like ut can represent all of Indonesia.

That is the end of my journey in Aisa. Aside from one supplemental article, I have covered every team name that was given to me or I created myself that are in Aisa. Thanks to everyone who came up with names. You have made this journey so much more interesting. This journey maybe over, but I am far from done. I do have plans for the future and I will announce that in a supplemental article next week. I will see you then.