The Rookie Goalies

CowboyinAmerica

Helsinki, Finland -- Rookie Helsinki Titans goalie Xavier Booberry is off to a halfway decent start. With a .910 save percentage, 3.39 GAA and 11-9-2 record, Booberry has helped the Titans make the leap from first overall pick to being a surprising entrant in the European Conference playoff race. With that type of resume, one would think he'd be receiving some Rookie of the Year buzz.

However, that's before looking at this season's crop of rookies, especially at goalie. Notably, Seattle's Em Em Flex and Toronto's Oskar Lindbergh sit second and third in the entire VHL with save percentages of .924 and .919, respectively, playing out of their minds during their rookie seasons. Toronto in particular has made an even greater leap to the current top of the North American Conference standings.

Does that have Booberry down? Not at all, to hear the Titans goalie tell it.

"We all have our own journeys, man, and I'm happy with where mine is right now," Booberry said. "And especially for a guy like Lindbergh - he was my teammate in Vasteras last year, remember. I have nothing but love for him, and what he's been doing in Toronto is undeniably incredible."

Still, the VHL season is only about a third over, and there's a lot of time for things to change - a fact Booberry wants all Titans fans to remember. "I think we're only going to get better from here," he said. "So we'll see where things shake out when the season's over."