Calgary's Ups and Downs

DollarAndADream

The Calgary Wranglers recently went on a 12 game losing streak, after holding down 1st in the VHL at the beginning of the season. For whatever reason, they dominated early, but fell apart quickly and could not recover for a long time. Although recently, they've strung together some wins and are looking to regain their spot up in the playoff picture. In their last 10 games, they are 5-1-4, and starting to get some momentum. Let's look at a couple games.....which unfortunately tonight goes against my narrative a little bit because they just went 0-1-1.

CGY_bar_mFmKLZ5.png Calgary Wranglers vs. New York Americans NYA_bar_rmHxH48.png 5-4 SOL

Despite outshooting NY 18-13, the 1st Period was a quite one where New York scored the only goal. Late at 16:51, Jon Webber scored his 34th of the season to give the Americans the 1-0 lead. Things started to open up in the 2nd Period. In the 2nd Period, Jon Webber scored another goal in the first 6 minutes, which brought the game to 2-0. NY would add another goal at 10:47 by Calvin Hobbes to bring this one to 3-0 before the Calgary Wranglers woke up. At 12:02, Calgary was on the PK but Gustislav Nasherov managed to score a shorthanded goal to get his team within 2, at 3-1. Only a few minutes later at 15:59, Gustislav Nasherov scored another goal to make it 3-2, and Calgary was back in the game. However, with under 2 minutes remaining in the 2nd, Rhynex Entertainment scored for the Americans and recovered their 2 goal lead with a 4-2 score. On to the 3rd we go. The 3rd was all Wranglers, as 1:29 into the period, Rolf Fizzlebeef Jr scored and made it a 4-3 game. The shots in the 3rd were 13-5 for Calgary, and with that, Gustislav Nasherov managed to score a hat trick with his 3rd of the game to tie the game at 4-4, and this one headed to OT. OT would go back and forth, but this was destined for a shootout where Jon Webber won the game for New York. 5-4 (SO).

Seattle_Bar.png Seattle Bears vs. Calgary Wranglers CGY_bar_mFmKLZ5.png 6-2 L

This one was a bit of a one-sided offensive affair for the Seattle Bears. Calgary's Gustislav Nasherov would open this game early with his 24th of the season, and give the Wranglers the 1-0 lead. However in the last 5 minutes of the 1st Period, Seattle would head to the power play and Gunnar Odinsson would score, tying this game up at 1-1. In the 2nd Period, Justin Lose scored his 35th of the season, 35 seconds in. 2-1 Bears. At 8:46, Nils Tallinder would tie it up at 2-2, and this is where things started to fall apart for the Calgary Wranglers. In the last 5 minutes of the 2nd, the Bears scored twice. Gunnar Odinsson scored his 31st of the season, and soon after that, Calgary went to the box. Seattle's Sigard Petrenko scored on the PP to bring this to a 4-2 game for the Seattle Bears, and the Wranglers were down by 2 heading into the 3rd. In the 3rd, it was all Seattle as well, as at 1:11, Venus Thightrap scored to make it a 5-2 game. Justin Lose would add his 2nd of the game and the Seattle Bears would take this game 6-2.

I liked the in-depth look at the last 2 games played, I think they were very informative and shown us the current struggles in Calgary. I liked all the statistics included with an article like this, and the name dropping where needed. With that being said I hope Calgary can comeback on top sooner than later! 8/10