Analysis of VHLA2 Africa Conference Part 2:Botswana and Kenya

Will3

It has been a wonderful time on safari. While the animal of Africa have been neat, it is the potential hockey clubs that has me excited. Join me as I breakdown the where and why of two more African ice hockey team names suggests by 16z. Let me show you what I have learned.

Within the southern side of Africa is the flat, mostly desert, and landlocked nation of Botswana. It has a population of 2.3 million well spread out people with about 11.6 percent of the population living in the capital, largest city, and home to any hockey team, Gaborone.  In 1885, the British colonised the area with became independent in 1966. Since then, Botswana has a consistent record of uninterrupted democratic elections and the lowest perceived corruption ranking in Africa since at least 1998. This good governorship has resulted in a  economic rise from one of the world's poorest countries into an upper middle income country, with one of the world's fastest-growing economies. One of the major industries powering this rise is the influence of the hockey team for this area, which is called the Botswana Diamonds. Diamonds were discovered in Botswana in 1967 with mining operations starting up four years later. More than 728 million carats of rough diamonds have been produced since then, with much of the money produced by selling the diamonds going to support the people. Add the fact that a slang term for diamonds are ice,and you get a perfect team name for it's location and the sport.

On the coast of East Africa is th 48th largest country in the world by area and the 29th most populous country, Kenya. It is a country with 47.6 million inhabitants with multiple important urban areas. It has the third-largest economy in sub-Saharan Africa and the largest in eastern and central Africa, with Nairobi serving as a major regional commercial hub and likely home to an ice hockey team. Tourism is a major economic driver in Kenya with people coming to see the reference for the team name,which is the Kenya Long Necks. It is obvious what creature has inspired this team name. It's a giraffe. The world's tallest mammals can run as fast as 35 miles an hour over short distances,need to drink water once every few day, and only need 5 to 30 minutes of sleep in a 24-hour period. It also happens to be my sisters favorite animal so that is objectively the best team ever. 

I hope you have enjoyed our adventure as much as as I have. Africa is a exciting place where ice hockey has never been to for the most place. It could succeed if things were to go right. Our great African safari will conclude next week. Hopefully, I will see you then.

Any teams in the VHL that relate in anyway to these identities? Players from these locations or possible rivalries down the road?? Could add a little of that to help spark some of the descriptions in the future so your hard work starts to pick up a following

Other than that.. Another very descriptive read and I almost feel like I've visited these locations, like how you credited me for the idea but also expanded on it :)

Edited by 16z

Review: 8/10

Especially since I'm a bit of a geography nerd, I always enjoy these articles taking a look at potentially different places for hockey. I like the Long Necks idea in particular, since it's a pretty unique name, but also one that is relevant to the region and I definitely could see fans rallying behind. The article itself read quick from beginning to end and didn't drag on, though a few grammar errors that could have been fixed with another read like spacing after commas ("ice,and" and "distances,need"). Also, may be a good idea to include a photo of Botswana/Kenya within Africa to help those who don't know the country to have a bit of context? But all in all, good stuff here.