Wumbo Traded to Halifax 21st

Fire Tortorella

WUMBO TRADED TO HALIFAX 21ST

HALIFAX, NOVA SCOTIA - The life of a goaltender in the VHL and it's various development leagues can be unpredictable. Unlike forwards and defensemen, there are extremely limited spots around the league for these players to play, especially at a starting position. Young goaltender Wumbo is finding that out for himself. Originally picked up on waivers during Season 80 by the Saskatoon Wild, Wumbo was the newbie of the goaltending duo and primarily dressed as the back-up, although he did get some spot starts. He was then drafted by the Ottawa Lynx, but again as a back-up. The Lynx had a returning goalie who had a few more practice hours than the VHLM rookie. As a result, Wumbo was the back-up again, but this was more of a 1B situation than a true number 2.

"Once I was drafted by Ottawa, management told me that I would be splitting time with the returning starter, and might see somewhere around 40% of the starts, at least as of the beginning of the season and how everyone was doing from a practice standpoint. I was perfectly OK with that and thought it made sense and was fair - we were a top team, so the top players were going to play."

Things were working out for the Lynx - I don't have the stats right in front of me, but the the Lynx were top in the league at the beginning of the season. However, Ottawa management decided they wanted to strengthen the rest of the roster. To do so, they would have to trade away an asset, and what better asset than a back up goalie who won't be on the team the following season?

Wumbo was traded to the Halifax 21st - a struggling team who wanted to try to work their way to contention. He was brought in to try to help settle the goaltending situation, and as a result, help the team win more games.

"While the trade completely came out of left field, I can't say I was disappointed to go somewhere that would allow me to be the unquestioned starter. Obviously we all want to win, but we all want to play too. In terms of my development, I think it's more important for me to play than necessarily to win. With that in mind, moving to Halifax might be a good thing for my career."

While the 21st had intentions of attempting to make the playoffs, quite frankly, things haven't worked out. After the losses continued to pile up, management made the decision to sell off what skaters remained in order to build for future seasons. This left Wumbo in limbo - while the young goalie has played OK (6-10-2 record, .878 sv %, and a 3.9 GAA), he's not exactly a top goaltender, and most teams already have a starting goalie for this season. It doesn't make sense for these teams to trade for a backup goalie that won't play during the playoffs either. So where does this leave Wumbo...the answer is in Halifax, and he's OK with that.

"I understand where we are as a team and the direction management is moving. For the rest of the season, we're just going to try to win as many games as possible and I'm going to continue to improve as much as I can."

14 hours ago, Fire Vigneault said:

"I understand where we are as a team and the direction management is moving. For the rest of the season, we're just going to try to win as many games as possible and I'm going to continue to improve as much as I can."

Did you really have to get all those wins against us though? Seriously the goal tending from both Wumbo "the Magnificent" and his partner in crime Daniel "I Apparently Feed on Marauder Tears" McGleis has been disturbingly solid against Miami. So congratulations to Wumbo for finding this game, but also [REDACTED] Wumbo for finding his game.

Review:

I went through a very similar situation with Lindbergh, only I was drafted as a starter, then a maxed out free agent was signed and relegated me to back-up status. I wound up being traded to a team that needed a goalie, where I played 71 of 72 games. Such is the life of a VHLM netminder. 

This is really well-written, but coming from you, that's no surprise at all. The grammar is flawless, your sentence structure is on point, I could put this under a microscope for eight hours and I don't think I could find anything wrong with this if I wanted to. I could bitch about there being no pictures, but to be honest, I'm scared to see what would show up if I Googled, "Wumbo," so I won't. 

Very nicely done!

9/10 because fuck you, where's my pictures?