Letter to my younger self

jRuutu

v4-460px-Write-an-Effective-Letter-Step-

I'm currently playing my third season in VHL. That means I have soon played over 200 games in VHL. These years have taught me a lot. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sometimes thinks if only they knew some of these things earlier - how great that would be!? If I somehow would have the ability to talk to the 13-year-old Erlantz Jokinen, who spent hours and hours every day working out and dreaming about VHL, I would say something like this:

Take it easy. You don't have to push yourself to the limit at that age. Do you know how good I am at this point in my career? The coaches are constantly telling me that I'm ''too good''. I'm making those around me look bad. I'm playing in every imaginable situation. I play 4v4, I play 5v3, I'm on the PP, I do everything. The way I'm blocking shots has made the coaches speculate whether I should try playing goalie next. I think I'm on my way to becoming the only player in history to play all positions in VHL. Sure, I have not played winger or center yet, but I'm like a forward on the powerplay already, so it's a matter of time before they move me there.

Take it easy. You don' have to worry about whether you make it or not. You know how talented you are.  The teachers in school were right when they said it's not fair even if you play with your eyes closed. I can tell you that there are maybe two or three defenders in VHL that are as talented as you are. I'm talking about pure talent. You can absolutely get by not working hard every day. You can rely on your talent.  It has never been confirmed whether you are related to the other Jokinen defenders before you, but you are made to play hockey.  If only someone would have told you that earlier. Maybe you could have enjoyed those careless teen years slightly more.

Take it easy. You don't have to listen to the coaches on everything. The coaches back home don't know anything about being an artist. You must not take the easy way out and shoot it off the glass. Keep hold of the puck and play your way out of trouble. Don't dump it deep on the powerplay. Keep hold of the puck, even if you are the last player. Make a move. Challenge the first defensive player. That is your bread and butter in the VHL. That is how you get your points.

Take it easy. You don't have to buy all your family members nice things once you make it. They stopped calling when I got a secret number. They don't know where I live. It's true that some of the family did a lot for you when you were only starting, but is it not enough to see the family name in VHL? What more do they expect? You were right when you started ignoring the phone calls early on. Eventually, they stop. Hang in there.