Czech Christmas with Jan Hlozek

Bojovnik

DECEMBER 23 (Puck Talk) - It's Christmas time, and what is better than spending time with family? Many around the world take to the skies or the road to get back to their loved ones, but for some professions, getting the time off is difficult.

That's especially the case for elite sports stars. In the NBA, games are played right on Christmas Day. In other sports, such as soccer, many teams play on Boxing Day, meaning that many players have to forgo the festivities and remain with their teams, rather than their families.

So how are some of the VHL stars going to spend their Christmas period?  We spoke to Jan Hlozek, defenceman for the Los Angeles Stars, about what he plans to get up this festive period.

Q: Hi Jan, so tell us. What is Christmas usually like in a Czech household?

Jan Hlozek: For a start, our main celebration is on December 24, not 25. As a result, we all try and get home as quickly as we can two days before in order to see our friends and family. One of the things that you have to be most aware about though, is that when you walk into the bathroom at home, there could be a carp swimming in the bath tub.

Q: Seriously, a carp?

JH: Yeah, we eat carp at Christmas. How it works is, the man of the family will go to some shop and buy a carp while it is still alive, maybe one week before Christmas. Then you keep it alive in your bathtub until December 24, so that you know that the meat will be as fresh as it can be. Then, on the morning of December 24, we kill the carp, butcher it, and then fry it. It tastes amazing with potato salad. That's what we go

Q: And how else do Czechs celebrate Christmas?
JH: Well you know that we like to drink in the Czech Republic. I'm from a small village, so we often meet with other families. The men will often sit together, drinking together. Most important, is that everyone here makes their own alcohol at home. Everyone makes these fruit brandy sort of things, so you have slivovice which is from plums, hruskovice which is from pears, etc. etc. Each guy has to bring one bottle from his collection at home, and they all sit around and try what everyone had made throughout the year. It's pretty cool. I like the tradition.

Q: Is it difficult for you this year not being back at home with your family?
JH: Yeah it's always tough. I've spent a lot of time away from home since coming to the VHL, and it doesn't get easier. I try and stay in touch as much as I can but it is not the same, and there aren't a lot of Czech guys around the league to spend this Christmas with. But it's all good. I'm loving my time in Los Angeles. The weather here is certainly better than it is back home at the moment, so I can't really complain. 

Q: What do you think about Christmas in North America?
JH: It's funny being over here. We don't give that many presents in the Czech Republic, so for me it's funny to see how crazy everyone gets over them. Also, I don't get what is up with the TV adverts.

Q: If you had to choose between Turkey or Ham, what would you pick?
JH: I think ham. In the Czech Republic, we like to eat pork knuckle, which is like this huge piece of fatty meat. I mean, the food in the Czech Republic isn't the healthiest so that isn't a surprise, but it tastes so good. You have to be good in the kitchen to cook turkey well.

Q: What do you think about Christmas films?
JH: I don't watch too many films. My English isn't good enough to really understand what's going on. I don't get what is up with that Santa guy too, or guys playing like Santa.

Q: How is the season going for you in general? You have already topped your season-best points total, and the Stars are well in the hunt for a playoff place. Are you still happy that you made the move to California?
JH: The room is great, the guys on the team are great, and we're playing some good hockey. We have a roster that should be competing for the Continental Cup, and it's hugely important that we keep our momentum going as we get closer and closer to the playoffs.

Personally, I'm really happy with where my game is at the moment. I'd like to be scoring more goals, and I don't know why I can't seem to get the puck into the neet, but I'm seeing the ice well at the moment, and I'm happy with my play in my own end. Therefore, I can say that I'm happy, and I'm delighted that my efforts appear to be complementing the team well.

Q: Who do you think will be Los Angeles' biggest challengers in the postseason.
JH: Vancouver for sure. They seem to be able to put it together every night. We've got a couple of wins over them throughout the season so far though, so I think that we will be ready for them come playoff time, if we indeed face them in the playoffs. Seattle and Calgary are also in the running, and they are both two good teams who are tough to beat.

Q: Do you think that the Stars will be champions when the season is all said and done.
JH: All we can do is try. We have the talent to be champions, we have the coaching, we have the facilities. I think this is a year where we will go into the playoffs full of confidence and ready for whatever challenges lie ahead of us. I didn't come here to be playing in the play in, or to be aiming for a first round exit. I came to win.

*over 1,000 words so this week and next

Edited by Bojovnik

9/10

Love the interview style, makes the article feel super personal and feels like we get to know more. maybe add a picture or something to add a pop or something to the article. it was a super easy read and was very cool to learn about Christmas in a Czech household. great job!