Marlins shaky in return from Holiday break

Scurvy

San Diego Marlins were hoping to maintain momentum as they returned from a lengthy holiday break this Monday.  In a two-game set starting with the Mississauga Hounds, the Marlins struggled to find any kind of offense or defense.  Outshot 41 to 23 the Marlins didn’t give much work to Hound’s goalie, Miervaldis Arpa.  The shots they did get on goal were stuffed by the hot goalie.  

Mississauga star, Big Bob led both teams in hits with 8 and along with 2 assists his presence was certainly felt on the ice.  In a post-game interview with Marlin defenseman Brian Payne he spoke about Big Bob and the Marlin struggles.  “Bob was a beast out there for sure.  He plays a nasty game and we struggled to keep him contained tonight.  I thought Bob and Tavish Degroot were going to scrap on a few occasions, but the refs jumped in pretty quick.  I would have liked to see it. In the end, struggled tonight for sure and felt like all of us had heavy legs being off for the break.  We need to chalk it up and learn from it.”

In game two against the Mexico City Kings the Marlins struggles continued but looked a damn sight better than their earlier game.  The Marlins came out firing and launched 37 high quality shots on King’s goalie, Boris Tsezar but Tsezar was up to the challenge.  The first period was great with the Marlin’s top line scoring three against the Kings, two on the power play with a high note of Nikita Eklund tallying his 65th assist of the season.  The playmaking D-man has been a true pleasure to watch this season. 

But the high scoring first was it for the Marlins as Mexico City turned up the pressure.  A third period set up by Ronan Lavelle to the always “electric” Benjamin Franklin Chang was the nail in the coffin for the Marlins. 

In a post-game interview with Marlin’s GM JB123 he spoke about the Marlins difficulty with being consistent.  “We need to find a way to stay consistent. We have a great team that can and has beat the top teams in the league.  When we want to, we can hang with anyone.  We have a 1A and 1B goalie tandem I’d put against anyone, a nasty defensive core, and solid scorers with BGCOS, Xavier, and Young.   Maybe we need more grit as we get to the playoffs.  Degroot and Payne play nasty games and are both in the top ten in penalty minutes.  I have also added a new free agent named Huge Johnson.  HJ played in the Western Hockey League and plays a gritty tough game as well.  I am hoping he gets off his ass and earns TPE fast so he can be ready for the playoffs.” 

The Marlins have ten games left in the season to work out the kinks and be ready for what will be a tough playoff series.  With the much hated Houston Bulls on deck for tomorrow we will hope to see the Marlins have gotten over the Christmas break blues.